Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Girls Only Trip to NYC

The last week of July my mom and sisters came to stay with me. I was really excited for their visit but even more excited that I could give my sisters there own room to keep all of there stuff in verses my living room. The last 2 times they came we lived in my 700 sq ft apartment and shoving 5 people into that was messy! So having 2 bedrooms and 2 floors to my house really made the stay much more enjoyable for everyone.

We of course had to spend at least one day in NYC. We took the train in and navigated the subway all around the city.



We went to the Museum of Natural History First. They both love "Night At The Museum" so they had fun trying to see some of the same things from the movie. I was really struggling though. Three stories of things I have sen numerous times, not my personal idea of fun. I would have preferred some interesting art pieces.
We left the museum and headed to central park. My mom has been dying to spend a good chunk of time there. We found 3 benches in the shade over looking a lake with some skyline as a backdrop. There we had out lunch and took a nap. It was the perfect place to rest before walking around for the next few hours.

One of my favorite sites in central park is bow bridge.




On our way out of the park we passes a Dip & Dots stand. I couldn't help myself. I love them to much to say no any time I see them.
After our long walk in central park the girls were exhausted but we took the down to canal st in china town. We walked around and looked at all the little shops and they got a few little souvenirs. Then we started walking through little Italy. It was dinner time and all the little Italian restaurants were starting to smell very, very good. We stopped at one and shared a pizza and a calzone. So delicious! Then it was off to time square (which is my #1 least favorite place in the city.)

We went into the time square information center and I was mesmerized by this wall. It had tons of little notes with people from all overs the worlds hopes and dreams for 201l. They said people wrote them on new years eve. Some of them were pretty silly but others kind of touching.
"I dream to become someone that will make a difference in the world."
"A year of love, laughs and happiness. xoxo"
They also had "the ball" on display in there. It was pretty cool to see it up close and all the detail in in.
Our main reason for coming to time square was to get a picture of the big billboard the church put out that says "I'm a Mormon." It was hard for us to find. They have some TV's with advertisements on them and we say a 15 second Mormon add. Which was pretty neat. Then we were about to give up and go home when I spotted it (corner of 47th & Broadway.) We were so excited to see it. Pretty cool I think.





After that we took a cab to grand central (mom was about to die over how awful this guys driving was.) We were home before 10pm with dirty feet and a lot of good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment