Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 1- Wednesday/Thursday June 19th/20th, 2013 - London


We left for the airport on Wednesday afternoon. Mike dropped us off and we anxiously waited for our flight. I was so excited for the flight but really nervous I would get motion sick. Mostly because that was my biggest pregnancy problem. Luckily, the  plane ride to Dublin went quicker than I thought and I didn't get sick. The guy sitting next to me told me I reminded him of Marsha Brady. I was also able to sleep the last three hours of the flight which was good. We had a 3 hour layover in Dublin. We ended up spreading our blankets out on the floor and  taking a 45 min power nap which wasn't terrible, but wasn't comfortable either. I was feeling pretty sick on the plane ride from Dublin to London and was glad to land. Our driver got us to the hotel by 11am and luckily our room was ready. It was HUGE, especially for a European hotel. It had 3 beds and a lot of space, it wasn't super fancy but it worked great. We all took another short nap and got up around 12:30 to get ready to go to Windsor Castle. We were a really short walk from the pimlico tube station which was nice. It took us FOREVR to get to the castle. Probably an hour and a half. It was fun to see the castle and check it off my list. They had a cool old cathedral where the Queens Father is buried. Also a huge doll house complete with electricity for Queen Mary who loved doll houses. It was fun to see the room with all the crests of the knights of the Order of the Royal Garter. It was neat to see all of that stuff. We also saw one of the royal guards keeping watch over the castle. Naturally, we decided we needed a picture next to him. Katie, went up first then I joined her. Then I wanted a picture alone saluting or something dorky like that.  The guard was so annoyed he actually made a comment like "oh geez." I didn't know they could even talk but he was so over me being up there he had to verbalize his dislike. I felt pretty idiotic but couldn't help but laugh. Everyone is a tourist somewhere. Thats what I say at least. After we were finished we walked around the town a bit then went back to the train station. 

It took us even longer to get back.... 2.5 hours this time. Our train was delayed because someone was threatening to jump at another train station on that line. Crazy. Speaking of crazy we actually saw a man PEEING in the corner of the subway station. I was disturbed and disgusted. I guess I didn't believe people really did that . We were pretty hungry but all felt pretty poor. It takes a while to mentally get use to the idea that something that says its 3 something is actually more like 5 something in your own currency  We asked our front desk if there was a grocery store close by and there was. We went there and looked at the food and sandwiches. I can't eat a lot of what is there because I'm pregnant (the no lunch meat thing) and a lot of it is made with deli meat. So I found a pretty good little Mexican place with fantastic burritos. So mom and I split one to save money then I got a piece of fruit at the store. Now we are back at the hotel about to go to bed. Sleep will come easy tonight. Especially since I basically just lived two days in one. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment