Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 5- Monday June 24th, 2013 - Paris


Today we got off to a little bit of a late start. We took the metro to the Notre Dame Cathedral area. I was surprised and proud of how well I remembered the area. I was able to guide us over to the cathedral easily. Of course on the way we had to stop and pick out a French pastry. We chose a chocolate eclair and it did not disappoint. The front of the cathedral had a big stand in front of it that made getting a good picture basically impossible. But we were able to stand on the benches and read a little about the front of the cathedral from our Rick Steve's book. The line to enter was way longer than last year but moved fast. We poked around inside a little then came out. I wanted to get some pictures of the cathedral from the bridges around the area. I knew they would have a better view and I also knew one of the two lock bridges was in the area. We found the love lock bridge and added our Mcknight girls lock to the mass of other locks. As prepared as I was with having bought a lock in advance, I still wasn't completely in the loop. I didn't know it was suppose to be a lock with a key that you toss into the river, ours just has a combination. Oh well at least I remembered a lock at all. By now it was time for lunch. Last year I remembered Mandy and I had gone somewhere in the area for a panini and a gyro so I used my excellent memory and found the same two stands. This time we all opted for the amazing chicken gyro with fries. It seriously hit the spot and filled us up for only €5. Then we saw a cool crepe stand that was selling chocolate creeps, which we hadn't seen a lot of (most of the time it was Nutella.) we waited in line for 15 min only for them to tell us that they just ran out of chocolate. Seriously!? The saddest thing in the world. So with disappointment we carried on, off towards the Louve we went. We were able to stop and see the second lock bridge, which was a lot busier than the one by Notre Dame. We ended up taking the scenic route through the courtyard to the Louve. Mom was so tired she told us to go take our pictures while she rested. Katie is making a video so she was taking some clips. She wanted one of her dancing, which reminded me of the Ellen Dance Challenge. Basically you go up to some unsuspecting stranger and dance behind them. If they turn around you walk away all "casual" like. So we found some people to dance behind while we recorded it. It was seriously hilarious to us. There is something about being around my sister that makes me decrease in age by ten years. I start acting like a 16 year old and giggling like a tween. It's a lot of fun and I love it. It. Reminds me of the How I met Your Mother episode where Lilly and her BFF from high school get together and they act ridiculous. Then when you get her friend one on one she is this really well educated person with an impressive vocabulary. I feel like that when I get around my sister. So we spent a good amount of time dancing and laughing.

After the Louve mom was tired (and so were we, I can't lie) so we took the metro to the Arch de Triumph. We were there long enough to take pictures then headed back on the metro to the Eiffel Tower. We had fun scouting out good picture spots. We went to one place I hadn't gone last year and it ended up being a great place for pictures. We wanted to go up on top but of course the line was long and it was late. So we decided to try doing it the next day and headed back to the metro.

When we got back to Cretiel we went to the grocery store. That is always interesting in another country. We had to do our best to guess at what some things were. You had to weigh your own fruit and veggies, which is fine except for the fact I couldn't read what the veggies were and the pictures only got me so far. Luckily a kind french person helped us out. That happened a few times. The other time we were looking for sour cream, we had a hard time decide what it was. We found what we thought it might be and asked the lady next to us who was buying it if it was sour cream. She didn't speak good English but was able to express that it was basically what we were looking for. In case you were wondering it is called creme fresh, but it's spelled all French like. They don't sell a lot of Mexican food stuff, no black beans which stinks. I had planed to make fajitas for dinner the next night and had a hard time finding stuff for it. We didn't make it back home till 8:15 and we were BEAT. We had dinner and vegged out until we couldn't stay awake any longer...














































No comments:

Post a Comment