Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 6- Tuesday June 25th, 2013 - Paris


Today we woke up early and got going. We wanted to visit the catacombs, which is very popular, and they only allow 200 people in at once so the line doesn't move quickly and gets long fast. It opened at 10 am and we got there at 9:15. Upon arrival the line already had about 155 people in it, so we were glad we got there early. Even when they opened at 10 the line moved pretty slow. We didn't get in to the catacombs till about 11:15. So even getting there 45 min before it opened we still waited 2 hours to go in. It was well worth the wait. It was really neat. I have never seen so many bones! Maybe I should say I never imagine so many bones could be in one place. It was ridiculous, just rows and rows and rows of bones piled up on top of each other. Sometimes they were even made into designs.  They said they are the bones of over 6 million Parisians buried in the catacombs. We mad a few funny, possibly disrespectful/inappropriate videos while we were inside (again, I reverted to my inner teenager.) After the catacombs we went and found a place to buy a panini for lunch and took our lunch and headed to the EIffel Tower. We planned to eat our lunch in line as we waited to go up on the top. Unfortunately, when we got there the sign said "Eiffel Tower Closed - Social Dispute." I seriously could have cried, we all could have. Talk about disappointment. I guess the workers went on strike. We asked someone and they said that it may be open tomorrow but who knows. The only way to find out if its open again is to go to the tower and see. So hopefully we will be able to go on Thursday or something. That is the one thing mom wants to do.

We slowly made our way back to the metro and headed home. When we got back we went to the mall again. Mom and Katie walked around and looked at clothes and I went back to the grocery store to get a few more things for my Mexican dinner. I feel like I can somewhat appreciate what the Spanish speakers in our country feel like all the time. It is hard to be somewhere and buy things that are all in a different language, unfamiliar products and an unfamiliar currency. Not to mention not being able to ask a sales associate for help if you have a problem or communicate a problem at the check  out line. It would be so hard for that to be my everyday life. Not to mention I am pretty well educated by American standards but when I am here in France and can not communicate I feel like everyone looks at me like I am dumb, and I'm not. I just don't speak their language. So just a few things that made me think a little.

While at the mall I also enjoyed a raisin cinnamon like pastry AND an ice cream thank you very much. I did share but, I also ate a lot myself as well. Yumm.

We got back to Mandy's in time to pick up Amelie from school then headed over to feed the ducks. When we finished that I came back and mom helped me chop veggies for dinner. I made fajitas and a salsa like guac. It was pretty good, but the fajita seasoning was not at all like the one in the states. It actually tasted more like BBQ, luckily Mandy had a taco seasoning packet that someone had sent them from the states. That made it taste a little more Mexican. Of course I also had my baguette and Boursin cheese :) After dinner Mandy walked us to the bus stop that we will have to use in the morning to get to Disney. Then we just came back home and hung out. We tried to get to bed early so we could get up early and go to Disney. The only problem is its hard to get to bed early when it is light outside till 10:30. I wish it was like that in CT. ..





















































No comments:

Post a Comment