Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 19 - Monday June 8th, 2013 - Capri/Rome Airport area




We slept in as long as we could then went to breakfast. Sick of eggs and bacon we stuck to fruit and cereal. Then we packed up and caught the ferry back to Sorrento. We were able to catch the hotel shuttle back to the hotel where our car was. Upon returning to the hotel the first thing I did was run to the car and check my suitcase. The first thing I saw when I opened it was my cellphone! I was so excited to see it, I have no recollection of putting it in there. Could this be my first sign of pregnancy brain? If I hadn't had so many pictures from my trip on my phone I actually could have been ok with loosing it. I'm due for an upgrade but Mike wants me to use the thing till it stops working. Anyways, we looked up the address for the Rome temple construction site and put it in our GPS then once again hit the road. We drove the three hours to the construction site. Before arriving we had to stop at a toll booth. There was a man standing there, he was not dressed in any official outfit but seemed to be assisting people at the booth. I remembered this specific toll had cost €2 on the way there. I got out my €2 coin and gave it to Mike. the guy at the booth said only bills no coins. he was very admit about it. I was very hesitant, not really trusting anyone but not being able to think fast enough to connect the dots on the spot. Luckily I had a €5 bill and gave that to him. When he gave me my change I quickly counted it to see if he had given me the right amount, but Mike had already driven through the stop when I realized the dirt bag had taken some of our change. I was only given €1.50 in change instead of the €3 I was due. I was furious. I quickly explained to Mike that the scum bag probably didn't work there and just prayed off of people like us, I'm sure the coin machine worked just fine but had we given perfect change the dude could not have stolen any money from us. I was seriously fuming. When we arrived at the temple site it was all boarded up so we really couldn't see to much, but saw enough to get a good idea for what it will look like. It was still pretty cool to see. Then we went to the hotel to check in and get rid of all of our bags before dropping off the car. On our way to the hotel we had to find a place to get gas so we could return the car on a full tank. When we got to the gas station a guy came up to our pump and started helping us. I thought it was kind of odd since the sign said self service, but we had stopped at another gas station where someone who worked there had helped up. When you buy gas at places in Italy you have to give a € amount first then pump your gas, so trying to fill a tank completely is tricky. We started at €40  and we got pretty close. I suggested seeing where €5 would get us but the guy peeked over Mikes shoulder and said €5 was not enough we would need more. So before I could protest Mike told me to give him €10. Not wanting to make a scene I just gave it to him. When the tank signaled full after only €6.50 Mike asked for his change. This is when the dude told us he couldn't give us change because he didn't work for the company then asked for a tip. I was again furious that some scum bag, trying to make a buck, had lost me money. Mike had to rip the coin for his "tip" out of my clutched fist. I could rant about these type of people all day but as my blood pressure is already rising just thinking about it I know it's probably not healthy. Lol. We checked into the hotel at about 4pm. We hadn't had anything to eat or drink since breakfast and were about to pass out. We went to the hotel bar to get a snack but they weren't selling food till 7! Even though Mike had a terrible headache coming on we decided we needed food. Not knowing where to go for something we would like we reverted to an American classic, McDonalds. We searched for it in the GPS and set it to take us to the closest one. However, when we "arrived" at the destination there wasn't one anywhere to be seen. We quickly picked another and were happy when it was a real McDonalds. I generally don't get fast food but after a week of pizza and pasta nothing sounded better. I ordered a feast large enough to clog every artery in my body. I ordered a deluxe quarter pounder, side salad (they had dressing!), chicken nuggets, strawberry milk shake and I shared a large fry and fanta with Mike. And I'll tell you what, McDonalds has never tasted so good! I think I had eaten my whole meal in 15 min. After we ate we took the car back to the airport. We checked it in, which was a little confusing, then searched for the shuttle back to the hotel. It was the longest shuttle ride ever. It took about a half a hour but it was in a hot van with no ac, we were in the back and the driver was jerking all over the place. I was so sick and Mike was even worse than me because he was getting a full blown migraine. I've never been so happy to get to a hotel and lay down. The rest of the night was pretty boring. We didn't really leave the room. Mike tried to kick his migraine and I just hung out and packed to leave the next day. Of course we spent a good amount of time trying to finish our book. After a few hours mike decided to use our spare change at the vending machine. He got a couple sodas and some wafer cookies. The wafers were pretty good so he ended up going back to get more. That was the excitement of the night. I feel asleep fairly early. When I woke up at 3am I felt terribly sick. I think it was a combination of morning sickness and my body yelling at me for the McDonalds meal. My mom happened to text me so I ended up Facetiming with her and my sister for over an hour. Lol. Then I went back to bed. I guess you could say I was trying to get back on USA time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment