Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 13 - Tuesday July 2nd, 2013 - Verona/Venice

I can't say that we got a good night of sleep. Unfortunately the bed was as hard as a rock and and the blanket as thin as a sheet. We both had a pretty sleepless night. On a brighter note the breakfast as absolutely fantastic. They had asked us what time we wanted to eat and we had told them 9am. So around 9:10 we went out to the patio and they had a huge box set up for us. We went through it and set everything on the table. It was all still very warm. We had eggs, cheese, yogurt, a whole basket of assorted baked goods, cereal, milk, OJ, meat and then some warm cakes. It was all so very delicious. It was made better by the charming atmosphere the B&B offered with the quiet countryside view. What a lovely way to start the day. There was one thing I had never had before but LOVED. It was like a sweet corn muffin on the bottom and on the top there was a think layer of almost a maple syrup like paste. It was like a really delicious pancake. Oh my word it was so good and I wish I could have eaten it all but I was already to full when I discovered it. After breakfast we got our things together, packed up the car and checked out. Again the owner was kind enough to allow us to leave our car there. When we asked how to use the bus system she told us to walk in one direction till we saw the bus stop and then take bus 23. Then to get off at a certain place. I was a little nervous about our journey but I was determined to go see the famous balcony of Juliet. So when the bus came we got on blindly. I had taken a picture of the city bus stops for that line on my phone and used that to help me navigate what direction we were going. Although I quickly figured out that not all stops were listed and that we would have to guess when we came to the street she told us to get off at. Luckily, I was able to use the map she had given us of Verona to find street names and make a good guess that we had come to the right place. After getting off the bus we had another mini freak out when Mike couldn't remember where he had put his money belt. He thought it was in my book bag but it was not. We had to hope it was in his book bag and carry on. Thankfully, there were signs for "casa di Guilet" and we followed those to find the famous balcony. On our way we passed through the coolest market selling the best looking food and sweetest smelling fruit cups I'd ever seen. We both wished we were hungry enough to get something, but we were still stuffed. Once we got to Juliet's house I took some pictures, went and stood on the balcony and rubbed the statues breast for continued good luck in love. I was a little put off that it was all made up to attract tourist and had nothing to do with the real Juliet, but I knew that going in I guess. It just bothered me even more to be there and know it was all fake and a way to make money. Anyways, after that we headed back to catch the bus. We looked at some street vendor stands as we walked and enjoyed the atmosphere. When we got to the bus stop I was a little apprehensive about getting back. I knew it would take us outside the main city center and if we got stuck it would be hard to find a taxi. When I got on the bus I asked the driver if he stopped at the bus stop where we got on, as it was not listed on the list of bus stops. He didn't speak English but he seemed confused by the name. He was very kind though and stopped the bus and looked at my picture. Then he got out his book of what seemed to be city bus stops. This whole process took about 3 min. Which, while on a crowded city bus with everyone's eyes on you felt like an eternity. The bus driver tried speaking to me in Italian, but the only words I understood were the ones he spoke in English, "I don't understand you." I was about to get off and go get a taxi but thankfully a nice gentleman  on the bus who spoke English asked Mike where he was trying to go. Mike explained the situation and he told us we were on the right bus. Another women who understood English but could not speak it nodded and agreed that we would stop where we needed. I finally gave up and hoped for the best. Mike was encouraging on the way back and said he recognized a lot of the landmarks. As we got closer I finally knew where we were and we got off at the right stop. I have to admit that we never paid for either of our bus rides. The bus system was confusing and all in Italian. I tried to give the driver cash to cover our fair but he waved his hand and gestured not to worry about it. I was very glad we had two very kind, sympathetic bus driver. I once again thought of how hard it must be for people who don't speak English to live in America. Thankfully we found Mikes money belt in his book bag, got the GPS set up and headed out of town. Once we were on the freeway I had to turn off the GPS and use my pictures from the iPad to get us to the airport.










It was a lot easier this time since there were so many signs for the airport. (airoporto) We stopped at the gas station across the street from the car drop off to fill up the tank. No gas stations will take our cards because they aren't European and don't have the chip inside them. So we had to pay cash. It took us forever to figure out how to do it. A kind young man who worked there came and helped us figure it out. You had to put how much money you wanted to spend in gas then it would pump that amount of gas. We were able to guess and check and get a full tank of gas without wasting any money. When we went to check the car in we told them about the nightmare we had had with the GPS. They apologized and sent us to the main desk inside the airport where we could get a refund. That was nice because it saved us almost $100. Sweet!! We also were able to pickup our tickets for the water boat that would take us to Venice. We walked to the dock and got there at the perfect time as the boat we needed was docked and ready to board. The only downside was the horrible heat and humidity and the windows only provided minimal relief. It was a long 1 hour and 15 min boat ride in that heat. We listened to more of our book which helped to pass the time. When we arrived at San Zacharria we used the map to make our best guess at finding the hotel. I had forgotten there would be bridges and we would have to carry our suitcases up them. Mike was a champ and carried mine since it was so heavy and I took his. When we finally found the hotel I breathed a sigh of relief. Our room was lovely, the bathroom was gorgeous. It was even decorated with a very accurate picture of a women completely naked.... Completely. Lol. Mike quickly covered it with the window curtains. Lol. He does not care for all the naked art work. We had booked a tour for that evening and left the hotel to find the meeting place. We were able to walk past Saint Marco square and watch the people and massive amount of birds who wanted to be feed. It was really hard to figure out if we were going in the right direction because of the way the city is laid out. When we finally found it I was again relieved. This trip has been a lot of fun but at times stressful when getting where we need to be. I think next time we may go with a tour group and see how we like that feel. Maybe if I had someone else figuring out how to get places for me I would enjoy myself more. We had dinner at a bar right in front of the meeting place for the tour. The food was good but I think it was because we hadn't eaten a meal since breakfast and it was now 6:30. The tour started at 7:00. The first part was a walking tour of Venice. We didn't really know what to expect for this part and it was just ok. A lot of walking and a lot of history. None of which I was to interested in, maybe I shouldn't admit that out loud but not all history intrigues me, especially when my 11.5 weeks pregnant self has to excerpt physical energy. I did enjoy seeing parts of Venice I may not have seen otherwise. Especially those more residential parts. After the walking tour it was time for our gondola ride. I was excited when Mike and I got the best seat on the boat for a couple. I saw a few other couples who didn't really get to sit next to each other. Even though we shared the boat with three other girls it was still very romantic. The sun was setting as we glided in and out of small canals. We past restaurants full of people eating and I felt like we were in a parade with how many eyes were on us. It was a lot of fun and truly very romantic. After the ride we walked back to the hotel. We stopped a few times for some food. Twice for a slushy which is my new favorite. Then for a small pizza for Mike. It was so romantic to just walk through the streets of Venice, holding hands and people watch. Surely, it  was a night I won't forget.











No comments:

Post a Comment