Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 18 - Sunday July 7th, 2013- Capri



This morning we were sad to leave our wonderful Hotel Mediterraneo. We had such a wonderful stay there it was sad that it had to come to an end. After breakfast Mike enjoyed a final hour at the pool while I packed up the bags and got ready to go to Capri. We had planned to drive our rental car to the dock and try to find a parking garage to park for the 24+ hours we would be in Capri. We were a little concerned about finding reasonably priced parking and feeling like our large suitcases would be safe in the car. We packed up the car and before we left I decided I should ask the front desk if they had a place they would recommend parking. They told us we should just leave the car at their hotel, they would only charge €10 a day which was much more reasonable than the €30 a day I had seen online. We were super lucky that around the time they said we could leave the car there the hotel shuttle to Sorrento city center came. We quickly jumped on the shuttle and rode it down to the city center. We found our way to the ferry dock and bought our tickets to Capri. Just before they started boarding the ferry I looked at my ticket and realized it was for one person not two. I sent Mike literally running back to the ticket office (which was a good 500+ yards away) to see if we needed another ticket. Thankfully I did that because we had left one of the tickets at the ticket office. He returned just in time for us to board the ferry. The ride to Capri was much shorter than I had anticipated. It only took about 30 min once we were on the water. When we arrived at the pier we instantly spotted our hotel. We were off the ferry and checking in at our hotel within 3 min. Needless to say we had a fantastic location. Our room was very nice with a fantastic large balcony overlooking the waterfront. We even had 2 large sunbeds on the deck. We enjoyed the view for a while as we tried to figure out what we wanted to do. I wanted to take the bus to Anacapri and take the chairlift to the top, but it was so hot I figured we would be better off waiting until late afternoon when it had cooled off to do it. Instead we decided we would go to the beach area for a while. When we were walking to the beach area I went to take a picture with my phone when I noticed it wasn't in my purse. We checked the backpack we had with us and it wasn't in there either. I've been preaching to Mike that you need to put things away in the same place each time and I have done pretty good at following my own advice. I always keep my cell phone in my purse so when it wasn't in there I knew something had happened to it. We went back to the hotel to see if it had ended up in with Mikes things or if I had unconsciously taken it out of my purse and put it on the bed. When it wasn't there we decided to call the hotel to see if I had left it in the room. They told me nothing had been found and I mentioned that I may have possibly even put it in the car. They went as far as to even go to the car and check there for me, but it wasn't there either. I hoped I had unknowingly just packed it in my suitcase. Since there was nothing we could do about it right then we went back out to the beach. While the beach area did not lack beautiful blue water and breathtaking scenery, it did lack sand. Instead it was filled with rocks. Not my favorite thing in the world. I know I am a bit of a beach snob but I was not able to lay my towel on a pile of hot rocks and pretend I was nice and comfy. Not to mention the pain of actually walking to the water. It felt like walking over hot coals. Then when you finally reached the water there were still tons of rocks there. I lasted a whole 30 min on the "beach" before calling it quits. We went scouring for food, but after a week straight of pizza and pasta all I wanted was a hamburger and fries or something without tomatoes or motz. (Can u tell I am starting to get tired of vacation?) We finally found a place that sold hamburgers and fries and got some to go (as well as my new favorite, lemon soda.) We took our food back to our room and got there just in time to see the first set of the men's championship match at Wimbledon. After eating I took a power nap and Mike watched the tennis match. Around 4:30 we went down to catch the public bus to Anacapria. It was a tiny bus with only 7 seats. The rest was standing room only. The bust was packed like a can of sardines and we didn't make it on so we waited for the next one to come. The one we took was thankfully less crowded and we even managed to get a seat. When we got out it took us a while to actually find the chair lift. The stinky part was the weather had turned and it was very windy, and it looked like a storm might hit. Due to the weather they had shut the chair lift down. This meant we had gone all the way up there for nothing. We tried to make the best of it by walking around and looking at the shops. Due to the poor weather and that it was a Sunday a lot of the shops were closing up or had already closed. We saw a waffle station and ordered two waffles, but they were just ok. I think I was just tired of junk food and sweets. Anyways, then we went to the bus stop to catch a bus back to the Marina. While we waited I found a shop that sold bracelets and I bought my one and only souvenir from Italy, a bracelet made of glass beads. We waited, and waited, and waited for the bus to come. While several buses came and went for the town of Capri none came for the Marine. We waited for 45 till a crowded bus finally came. We squeezed on and barely made it. When we got back we watched a few of the highlights that were playing of the tennis match. Then we decided we should go find food. A lot of places along the marina had closed and only a few restaurants remained open for dinner. Luckily, one of them I saw on trip advisor and it had really good reviews so we decided to eat there. I really wanted the ceaser salad but when I asked if they had dressing they laughed and said only oil and lemon in Italy. I settled on the vegetable soup and Mike got another pizza. The food turned out to be very good, especially all the veggies in my soup. After dinner we took a big blanket out onto the balcony, pushed the sun beds together and cuddled while we listened to a few chapters of our book before bed.


















No comments:

Post a Comment