Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 16 - Friday June 5th, 2013 - Sorrento




Today we had to set an alarm to wake up so that we wouldn't miss the driver. We quickly ate then the driver took us to the airport so we could rent our car. The car rental terminal was huge and slightly confusing but we found our way to the desk. They gave us another Fiat 500 and we just hoped the cigarette lighter worked so we could charge the GPS. Luckily it worked and we thought we were good to go. In a hurry to get on the road we left the airport even though the air in the car hadn't seemed to cool down too much. About 5 minutes after we had left the airport we decided the air condition was broken. It was 90+ degrees outside and humid. We knew it would be a long 3.5 hour ride to Sorrento. Luckily, we took the highway for most of the drive. This meant plenty of time to listen to our book. We can't put it down, can you tell? We were warned that driving in the Amalfi coast area would be scary. However, after driving the sharp cliffs of Cinque Terra (which had no guard rails or lines on the road) without a GPS, the drive to our hotel was relatively easy. There aren't a lot of traffic lights or stops so you just have to make room for yourself and go. There are several mopeds that are confident they own the road. They weave in and out of traffic like no one else's business but I guess they're so small they can. Upon arrival at our hotel we thought we'd died and gone to heaven. Seriously, this hotel was wonderful! Our room overlooked the water and we had a nice balcony. They had champagne waiting in our room for us. It's always so awkward when we have to tell them we don't drink. This time I pulled the pregnancy card which he actually seemed to understand. After we got situated in our room we went to the pool bar to have lunch. We order a turkey club sand which and a salad. Again the salad was not what I was hoping for. The lettuce leaves were all the really bitter ones that almost seem to burn when you swallow them. Yuck! The club sandwich was fantastic thought and was big enough to feed both of us. After lunch we relaxed by the beautiful pool and soaked up all the time we had to relax and enjoy. We also went to check out the beach by the hotel but it wasn't fantastic, to many topless tweens. So we just decided to stay poolside. We were really excited for dinner that night. We had reserved a romantic dinner on the patio restaurant at sunset. So we anxiously went back to our room to get ready. I had first shower rights since I take longer to do my hair than mike does. While I was in the shower he face timed his mom who was at Jared's house. Apparently he wanted to show them a little of the hotel so he took the room key and left. The room key just happened to be the power source to the room. As I  stared to shave my legs the power went out and the bathroom went black. We were only given one room key so I knew I just had to power through it. The funnier part is, Mike can't make the hotel key open the door. So he just had to wait in the hall till I was done. Sucker. Once we were finished getting ready we went to the 5th floor for dinner. When they seated us it was inside and not on the balcony. Normally I would just sit down and not cause problems but I had been waiting for this sunset dinner on the balcony for a few months. So I asked up be seated on the balcony. The host said you had to reserve those seats in advance with the receptionist. I assured him that I had spoken to her as soon as we checked in today. He went and talked to his boss then lead us to the balcony but to the only table that was not actually overlooking the water. He asked if that would be ok, again I was more persistent and asked to be seated at another table that was actually overlooking the view. He told me again I had to make a reservation and my exact words were "I did make a reservation. I reserved this dinner several months ago and I also reserved this seat with the front desk upon check in. I was assured seating on the balcony so I'm not sure why I can't sit there." I think we were all surprised how forward I was with where I wanted to sit. I've never acted like that before. I think it was the east coaster coming out in me. With that we were seated where I wanted to be sat and apologized to for the miscommunication. (And still after all of that, one seat on the balcony remained open all night.) The dinner was fantastic! The sun set while we ate and it caught the landscape on fire. I couldn't imagine a more beautiful backdrop to a wonderful meal and company. We had great food and talked about all the placed we have been lucky to see together. We each picked our top 5 favorite places and then named some places we would like to go in the future. It was a very romantic, beautiful evening that I'm sure we will remember for a long time. After dinner we went back to the room and took some pictures from our balcony. Then we listened to a little of our book on the balcony then it was time for bed!


















No comments:

Post a Comment