Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mother-Daughter time

I need to try and stay on top of this whole "journaling" thing. I hate getting behind because then I have no motivation to actually catch up. Anyways, my mom came to town the weekend after we moved. I've been trying to get her to come out (on her own, no sisters included) for several months. It was so great to have her all to myself for 5 straight days. She drove from Ohio (10 hours) all on her own, and got here Wednesday afternoon/night. It was pretty funny, she brought this HUGE queen size blow up BED (not mattress, bed) with her and we got it all set up in the spare room... she didn't sleep in it once! lol. She slept on the couch every night.

Anyways on Thursday we woke up when we wanted, got ready and took the train to The City. When we first got there we walked the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a beautiful day and I loved being there with my mom. Once we walked over the bridge we headed straight for Grimaldi's for some pizza. It hit the spot, as always. We headed down the street to this cool park that over looked the financial district. It was kind of fun just to relax after such a good lunch. Once our pizza had digested we walked back to Manhattan over the Bridge. I have to say it is a lot cooler walking to Manhattan, you get to see the city skyline the whole way back. It was pretty cool.
(Mommy and I with Brooklyn Bridge in back)
(Downtown)
(Twiners?)
(My Hott stuff momma!)
(Me on the Bridge)
Once we walked back across the bridge we took the subway to Canal street in China Town. My mom just wanted to see what it was like. I have to say although I love Chinese food, not so much a fan of Chinatown. It smells. We picked a few wrong streets to walk down... YIKES! Lines with raw fish and seafood... BARF. If you know me even a little you know how much I detest anything from water. I was gagging the whole way through the street. I shudder at just the thought.
From Chinatown we walked to little Italy, who was having a huge festival. The streets were lined with food vendors, carnival games and knick-knack stand for 10 blocks down and 10 blocks over. It was pretty cool. We spent about 2 hours walking through.
(My mom was excited to see a F.D.N.Y. fire truck)
(I finally gave in and had my first fried oreo! It was pretty good, but I don't want to think about how many calories it had in it! )
We also walked past a HUGE Hollister and my mom wanted to go into look for clothes for my siblings. They had guys (17-21 years old) in swimsuits and no shirts and girls in bikinis and little shirts strategically placed all around the store. They had them standing on the stairs with the spotlight on them. It was pretty funny actually. I was just really surprised that they had these employees running around half naked.

We walked all the way to the Washington Sq Park area and went to the Popbar again for some frozen gelato on a stick. We were pretty tired at this point so we hopped on the subway and went to Toys R Us in time square to use the restroom. We have to laugh about this because it's the only public restroom we know of that we can stand to be in so anytime we need to use the restroom we head there. Afterwords we headed down to the Gershwin Theater to get ready for the Wicked lottery.
We were the first ones in line to put our names in and we had about an hour before the drawling. So we made friends with the girls behind us another Mother/Daughter from Mississippi. They had 3 more family members coming to put there names in the drawling. We agreed that if my mom and I's name were both drawn we would give them our extra tickets, and if they had two people be called from their group they would give us the extra tickets. When the names started being called the mom from Mississippi's name was called. Then MY NAME was called 5th... then the other daughters name was called. So from the first 4 people to put their name in 3 were chosen. At any rate my mom and I were THRILLED!

(Me after my name was called)
(My mom and I with our FRONT row CENTER seat tickets {please not the green pin that says "I won the Wicked Lottery!"})
(We were so close it was ridiculous! This is part of the stage and below is the map of Oz used as a curtain!)
Mom and I before the show! We were on cloud 9!
I cried the whole way through the show. I was so impressed, excited and thrilled with the performance. It also brings all these memories of being in musicals and preforming. Don't misunderstand I don't think I have what it take to be on broadway, I just miss preforming period. It's crazy how watching other people preform gets me all emotional and missing it so much. Oh well anyways it was an incredible day!

We were going to go back in early on friday but after such a long day we were way to tired to get up and do that again. So we woke up late, and did whatever we felt like. We went to Stew Leonard's and Costco loaded up on yummy stuff to eat. Friday night we caught up on our TV shows from the week and stayed up really late talking... HENCE the next morning we were to tired to go into the city as we planned. (Which was ok with my mom since she had such a rockin time on Thursday.) So we hung out, ate yummy food, went to the mall, watched some college football and went to the Relief Society broadcast. Sunday we went to church then made a great lunch and had some good friends over to play games and have fun with my mom. On monday morning it was time to get up and head back to Ohio....

I had a great time with mom and was sad to have to share her with the rest of the family again! I have the best mom ever!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat post!! And I totally know what you mean about missing performing. I felt the exact same way watching In the Heights. :-)

    You and your mama are SO cute!

    ReplyDelete