Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pressure Sales...


Let me tell you a funny story. Well funny to me. Since I no longer have a YMCA membership and its getting to dark and to cold to plan on running as a constant form of exercise I needed to find a gym. Since LA Fitness is a mere 5 blocks away I took a stroll down there to investigate the situation. I walk into the decent work out facility and am directed to the store manager (who could very well be a cast member on Jersey Shore.) First he sits me down and interrogates me on why I want a gym membership. Isn't the answer obvious? I just want a place to work out. But there is something about the way it all went down that bothers me. I mean I know I need to loose a few lbs, couldn't we all get a little healthier? But do I want to talk about my weaknesses with someone who looks like he has none in the "physically fit" department? NO THANKS. It makes me feel worthless and intimidated. So since I'm hesitant to share with him what I am looking for he puts the words in my mouth and apparently I wanted to get toned, lift weights, take classes, ect. ect. ect. Actually all I'm really looking for is some cardio machines.

So the tour is over, time to get down to buisness... pricing... they want $150 for a joining fee and $49.99 a month

ME: NO FREAKING WAY
JSM (Jersey Shore manager): Ok let me see what I can do. How about we bump down the signing fee to $100 and the monthly to $34.99.
ME: *Hesitation* I don't know that is a lot for a signing fee.
JSM: Well you tell me what you want to pay.
ME: $75 (Which by the way I still think is ridiculous!)
JSM: You're killing me, the only way I can do that is if I give you $24 from my wallet
ME: *Still hesitant* I just don't know. I think I could go to the Y and my husband and I could get something together that is just a little bit more (which is a lie I think its like $160 a month for a couple, but I wanted to see what that would do.)
JSM: OHH! Well look if your looking for your husband to we could do the $100 sign but a $50 monthly for both your husband and you. Thats only $25 a month. And if you want to freeze him for a few months that would be free instead of $10.
ME: Humm, I don't know. Can I go home talk it over with him and come back.
JSM: NO. Sorry we can only give you these low rate (low rates my butt) on your first visit. (DUMB)
ME: Well... *lots of thinking and feeling pressured to make a decision and don't forget how poor I'm feeling.)*
JSM: We can let you give it a try for 3 days and if you don't like it we will refund your money.
ME: *Dang it, that might be my best shot* OK fine.

So they swip my credit card for $200 and I leave in a tizzy.

I go back later that afternoon to work out. I feel a little awkward. I mean the people around me are buff and super fit and I'm just ... we'll call it average. I feel like I'm in a room full of people who were rejected from Jersey Shore auditions (and just so you know I don't think to highly of the people on that show... so me stereo typing the people in the room was wrong and I know that. But sometimes its hard not to... DANG IT!)

I tell Mike about it. He tells me I got worked over and they used basic sales tactics on me. That makes me made. I hear about another gym and start looking into other options.

I decide to cancel LA Fitness membership. I make a phone call to do so. They tell me to call back when JSM is in. I call back during his business hours. They tell me I have to come in to the store to cancel (so they can guilt me into staying...)

I go in. I meet with JSM.
ME: You know I thought about it and the cost is just to much and I don't know if I would use it enough to make it worth it.
JSM: Do you want me to do something about the price. I could lower the signing fee.
ME: What?
JSM: I can just cancel the signing fee and just go $29.99 a month.
ME *you told me if I paid $75 you would have to put in $24 of your own money and now you can not charge me anything?* No thanks. I just don't want to.
JSM: Are you sure it is so convenient for you.
ME: No thank you. I'm just not into it.

At this point he finally gives up and gives me my money back.

I was so frustrated by the way they pressured me into committing on the first day and then tried to talk me out of it when I cancelled. I found another place that is a little further away I can go it... the bad news is... they offer free tanning and free guest for $20 a month... Yikes.... I may start tanning again. Will it go against my commitment to quite if I'm not technically paying for it, per say? Not sure. Its really becoming a moral dilemma....

END OF STORY

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! That's crazy!! Good for you for stickin it to 'em! Now I'll know the exact steps to take to get the right price if I ever decide to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He put the WHAT in your mouth?!!?!?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA-- Thanks for clueing me in Nicki... That was a pretty funny typo.

    ReplyDelete