Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Cup Runneth Over

Today we had a wonderful church service. I had so many sweet moments where my mind as enlightened, my heart was full of gratitude and my spirit sang with joy that I had to record my strengthened testimony. It was called a "Come and See" and we were suppose to invite others to come and worship with us. I'm not so good at getting people to come but I did notice a lot of others had friends with them. Since it was palm sunday the talks and music focused heavily on Christ; His church, His atonement, His resurrection etc. Sacrament meeting was about 1 hour and 45 min but we didn't have any other classes after that. The speakers all did a great job. One sister read some of a talk Elder Wirthlin gave called "Sunday Will Come" I looked it up when I got home and re-read it. I just love this part...

"On that Friday the Apostles were devastated. Jesus, their Savior—the man who had walked on water and raised the dead—was Himself at the mercy of wicked men. They watched helplessly as He was overcome by His enemies.

On that Friday the Savior of mankind was humiliated and bruised, abused and reviled.

It was a Friday filled with devastating, consuming sorrow that gnawed at the souls of those who loved and honored the Son of God.

I think that of all the days since the beginning of this world's history, that Friday was the darkest.

But the doom of that day did not endure.

The despair did not linger because on Sunday, the resurrected Lord burst the bonds of death. He ascended from the grave and appeared gloriously triumphant as the Savior of all mankind.

And in an instant the eyes that had been filled with ever-flowing tears dried. The lips that had whispered prayers of distress and grief now filled the air with wondrous praise, for Jesus the Christ, the Son of the living God, stood before them as the firstfruits of the Resurrection, the proof that death is merely the beginning of a new and wondrous existence.

Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays.

But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come.

No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come."

His words are so remarkably powerful! First, to think of the pain and suffering the Savior took upon himself so that I, me, all of us, despite our flaws, our weaknesses (and I have so many it seems) might conquer death as he did. That when we make mistakes we can pray for forgiveness and be forgiven. So that one day we can live with Him, our Father in Heaven, our earthly family, all of us, together. The most amazing gift someone could give, and at such a high price, he gave to us that Friday.

Second, to think that because Christ suffered all the sins of the world, he knows exactly how we feel when we come upon one of our own "fridays" in life. If we feel alone in our struggles and despair, we can truly turn to him as a source of strength, because he has overcome all. He knows what we are feeling and he wants to help us through. He wants us to come to our "Sundays" when tears are dried and praises are shouted. He is there, the whole time, all we have to do is be willing to accept his help. With him we can conquer our Fridays. Such an empowering thought.

Another talk was give by my friend Lizzie's husband, JT. He did a fantastic job as well. He spoke a lot about the restoration of the gospel. How the true church was taken of the earth just as Amos 8:11 said:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:"

I thought about how lucky I am to have been born in a time when the truth has been restored to the earth. That I can worship my God how and when I want and not have to worry for my life as some have in the past. He also spoke of the First Vision and Joseph Smith. He mentioned how this vision taught us so much about the Godhead we didn't know or understand before. They were two separate persons made of flesh and blood. But the part I have just breezed by all they years and not thought much of is when Joseph says that "One of them spake unto me, calling me by name." They knew Joseph by name, they answered the humble prayers of a fourteen year old boy. Our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ know us personally. They know what is in out hearts and mind and they love us with a love that is so unconditional we as simple mortals can't even begin to understand. Thier love for us is all around. In the beauty of they sky and seas, in the melody of the singing bird, in the hope that the resorted gospel brings and in the joy that following the path and holding to the iron rod gives. They have provide a perfect plan for our eternal happiness.

The final speaker spoke about this perfect plan, the Plan of Salvation. So many times in my life I have felt joy because I never had to wonder who I was, where I came from or where I was going. I had all the answers in this simple plan, and i knew they were true. I know that my sprit lived in heaven before I came to this earth. I know that I chose from the beginning to follow Heavenly Father and Christ by agreeing to come to earth the be tested, we all did. I often think of my spirit in the pre-existence, what I was like, they type of relationship I had with my Father in Heaven. Sometimes I can feel my sprit burning to remind me of the life I had before the vail was placed upon me. Sometimes, usually when I'm in the temple, I feel like I get little waves of feelings I once had. A deep love for my Father in Heaven and a strong desire to do what is right, to make him proud of me. The plan of salvation also lays out a path for us to be with our family forever. This is another precious blessing I hold close to me. I love my parents, siblings, husband and his family so dearly. I can't imagine a life without them in it. Knowing that even when this life ends for some, we will all be together again, is such a sweet reminder of our Fathers love for us. He knows how deep his love is for us and he wants to be with us again. But he also knows how deeply we love each other and we too want to be with our earthly families again. So he has provided a way for us to do that. There is no greater blessing to me than knowing I have been sealed to my family, husband and our future children.

So as much as church was for others to be converted to the principles of the gospel I was once again converted to them myself. I need days like today when the picture is so much clearer, when the tasks of life don't fog up my eternal perspective. My heart yearns for others to come unto Christ and be filled with the same overwhelming joy I have.

We sang the Hymn "How Great Thou Art" as well today. I love this song so dearly because it puts the feeings of my soul so eliquently on paper.

When Christ shall come,With shouts of acclamation,

And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!

Then I shall bow in humble adoration

And there proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

I can't wait to have this special moment with my Savior.
When I hear "Well done thou good and faithful servant...
enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."

3 comments:

  1. So eloquent, darling one. It was indeed a very spiritual Palm Sunday indeed. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... I seemed to like the word "indeed" a lot. Note to self, proof read. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that. You have such a sweet testimony. Just sharing this helps others! I loved Sundays service.

    ReplyDelete