Friday, March 19, 2010

The Unnamed Hurricane


So last saturday (March 13th, 2010) we had a horrible storm! I didn't realize how bad it was when it was actually going on. We had family in town so we braved the storm to take them out to have some fun. A few things should have been a sign though. Sign 1: When we got out of the car to go into the store the wind blew me so hard I felt it physically push me back. Sign 2: The stop light (not to be confused with a stop sign) was hanging by its cable in the middle of the street. I've never seen that before. Sign 3: The wind was physically moving the big mini-van. Sign 4: The shingles were flying off the roof of our complex.

Then we got a call from a few of our friends to give us the updates. My friends Aubri & Thomas had a tree fall on both of their cars. (To see her picture click HERE.) Luckily, they think the cars will be able to be fixed and not totaled as they originally though. Our friends Megan and Braden had a tree fall on their house. Not to mention when it happened our other friends Lindsey and Jared had just got their to pick them up (since they were already without power.) They had a scary experience with the tree falling which you should read HERE. Lindsey is a captivating writer and her stories are always awesome.

But still even then I didn't understand how bad it really was. The next morning I woke up to find church had been cancelled. Humm thats kind of serious. We felt a little adventurous so we loaded the family into the van and decided to take them on a tour of the majestic towns of Darien and New Canaan.

This is what we found....
The tree completely took out this house.

Tree had fallen on a power line and had entangled it.

SO MANY of the roads we usually take were completely blocked off.

These pictures don't even do the damage justice. The family I nanny for in New Canaan lost power at 3:00 pm Saturday and didn't get it back till Tues... many others just got power back yesterday. The kids didn't have school till thursday and even then they operated on a 90 min delay. I feel so lucky to not have been effected at all really. Especially since so many people were. The ward did a great job from what I can tell of helping all of those people in need out. Then I know the town of New Canaan was awesome at taking care of their community. I was really impressed by all of the effort to help others I saw. Today was the first time I was able to take my "normal" route to work so most things are back to normal.

The news reported winds got as high as 70+ miles an hour. That is strong enough to be a small hurricane.... CrAzY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment