Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Outing

These past few weeks have been pretty exhausting emotionally and physically on both Mike and I. Mike's been busy at work and I've been busy looking for work. Not to mentioned all the stresses that come with moving. It's just been a little rough for us. So this weekend we really wanted to go out and do something fun. However, our exhaustion really played a part in our commitment for nailing down a plan and going with is. We threw around several ideas; Long Island beach, 6 flags and even Ohio.. However, we couldn't commit to anything. So finally I put my foot down today and said "we ARE going to do something" So we stayed close and just went to the city for the day.

First off I have to say how proud I am of Mike and I. We drove down to the city and parked in our normal parking garage and then worked the MTA metro. We rode 4 different lines and switched subway cars several times to get to our final destination which was.... The Brooklyn Bridge.
It was a beautiful day to walk the bridge.
The downtown city skyline
Lisa and Moroni met us on the Bridge and we got to walk around with them which was fun.
Us with the skyline.
Lady Liberty
Mike left his mark on the bridge
The midtown city Skyline with the Empire State building and Chrysler building.
Entering Brooklyn. I like that it says "How sweet it is."
After our walk we needed some food. We've been hearing amazing things about Grimaldi's pizzeria. Let me tell you it lived up to EVERYTHING I've ever heard about it.
And don't take my word for either... the line to get in was way long. We waited about a hour and 15 minutes. Surprisingly though it went really fast. If your going to wait in a long line you might as well do it with friends.
We were so excited when we were finally seated!
A really cool thing was that you could watch all the pizza's being made. It was cool to watch but also nice to see how fresh all the ingredients were.
Lisa, Moroni and baby Noah.
When our pizza came I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was extra cheese (which was fresh mozzarella) and pepperoni. Seriously it was by far one of the BEST thin crust pizza's I've ever had!
Mike and I also enjoyed some root beer out of a bottle (which we all know taste better.)
We ate every last piece of pizza and here is the crust to prove it.

After lunch we said goodbye to Lisa and Moroni and headed up to the Washington Sq Park area. I found this certain street sign I've been looking for... WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PLACE!
After a great dinner we needed a treat to top it off. So we went to the popbar. I heard from a few sources that this place was to die for! It was also true, it was basically my own personal heaven on earth.
You simply chose your gelato pop ...

Then they will dip it in dark, milk, and white chocolate and roll it in coconut, almonds, pistachio and nuts.... then you have....
A delicious treat. I had a coconut gelato dipped in 1/2 white and 1/2 dark chocolate covered in coconut and almonds. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Mike thought it was pretty good too. He got banana dipped in chocolate and it was gone REALLY quick.

After dessert we headed home. We were so tired from all the walking (and the heat.) It is so nice to live so close to an amazing city. I don't take advantage of it as much as I should. There have been several Saturdays Mike has mentioned going into the city for the afternoon and I've just wanted to stay close to home. I'm kind of hitting myself for it now. Luckily we don't plan on leaving the area anytime soon so I still have time to make up for this. I really look forward to it! All in all it was a good Labor day weekend.

Backtrack:
Friday Night we had dinner with some really fun friends of ours at this great restaurant called Kona Grill. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who has one close. It is a little more expensive but the food was AMAZING. I can't say enough good things about it. Plus our friends had us laughing the whole night.
Saturday Night we had a BYU party at a friends house and watched the game. Which was a lot of fun and I wish I would have taken some pictures of us in our BYU gear... but I'm sure there will be more tim for that later.

Overall, even with our indecisiveness it was a great Labor day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment