Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Boomerang Effect


Have you ever heard of the Boomerang effect? If you throw something away and it comes back to you then it's meant to be? I've heard this several times in sappy romance movies when couples break up then get back together again claiming "It's meant to be."

Well I think I have been experiencing this odd phenomenon. I have been a nanny for the same family since the second week I moved to Stamford. I was extended a job offer before I ever even met the family (Mike actually did my interview since he was already living in CT and I was planning the wedding in Ohio.) Over the past two years I have tried to walk away from this job three times!! Not because I hate my job, but because sometimes its overwhelming to run someone else's home full time. I think many days I have the same feelings as most mothers do. Stress, frustration, love, reward and accomplishment...

Well this past week I've had another boomerang moment. About a month ago I informed my employer that I would be leaving the job in the summer. My plan was to take the summer off then start work in a school in September. After applying and interviewing for many positions, I quickly found that the jobs I was qualified for were not extremely exciting. Then all the jobs in the private schools that I would excel in had already been filled (they start applications in JANUARY for fall start dates!!) Then there is the "do I really want to be in education or maybe take a venture in to corporate america?" At any rate I began to get extremely nervous. I had quit a job that I really do love and had NO back-up plan in sight.

I went back to my employer and let her know that if she still hadn't found a nanny I wouldn't mind staying through the summer. However, she had been hard at work and already found my summer replacement. (I do have to admit she kept me in the loop about the whole situation and did a fantastic job communicating all her feelings to me.) So this weekend I started putting myself in "unemployment" mode and just prayed so hard a path would be shown to me. Then after a whole weekend dedicated to pondering and praying for guidance a solution presented itself. My employer told me that something had come up for the girl she had got to replace me.

However, this new situation is ideal to say the least. It appears that I will be able to take almost the whole month of June off to be with my family in Ohio. Then I will work though July and then be able to take time off in Aug to go to Utah to see Mikes family and then for my mom to come visit me here. THEN I will stay until December (or longer.)

Those of you who know me well are probably thinking "What is she thinking?" I guess it's just really hard for me to part with the girls I really do love to death (even when they are driving me up the walls fighting.) Its hard to believe how much they have grown up over the past two years I have been with them. Hailey is turning 10 (double digits) this summer and getting her ears pierced (something we've been talking about for 14 months.) Kylie is turing 13 in July and finally a teenager. Each day when I help Hailey brush her hair I can't get over how much she has grown since the first time I brushed it. When I look at Kylie walk in wearing her fashion forward outfits I can't help but think what a beautiful young women she is turning into. Its hard to believe how fast time flies.


So I'm now preparing myself for school year number 3 with these two ladies (Hailey is starting Middle school and Kylie is finishing her last year there.) Don't worry though. I've committed myself to apply in January for the jobs I want. I also plan on spending some serious time looking into graduate programs to see if that is something I am interested in. I never would have guessed that this would be my path, but I sure feel good about it!

HERE GOES NOTHING!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Prayer pays off! I've kept you in my "prayer stream" (the all-day long conversation I have with Heavenly Father) for the past several weeks too. Call me, we need to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristin! It's amazing to see the different paths we take in life. And pretty much all of them are different than we plan. Mine has been for sure! Good luck as you continue down your unexpected path in life right now <3

    ReplyDelete