Sunday, July 28, 2013

The First Trimester


 This was our original idea for our baby announcement. But then we realized we needed someone to take the picture. And I think we all know what happens when you ask a stranger to take your picture.

Written on July 9th, 2013

I am about 12.5 weeks now and almost to the 2nd trimester. I think I've mentioned that I knew I was pregnant from basically the moment of conception. The first two weeks were the longest though, waiting to find out if I was really pregnant or just going crazy. Then the rest seemed to drag until I went on vacation and had other things to think about.


I had my first ultrasound on Friday May 23rd. Mike came with me and it was a little anti climactic when the baby was so small and barely had a heartbeat. They told me I wasn't as far along as I had thought, which was a big bummer. In the beginning it was all I could think about and do to count each day. Reach a new week marker. So to be told I was a week and a few days behind what I thought, it was a little disappointing. Poor Mike also showed his weak stomach for all things medical. All he had to do was walk into the Dr. office and he was feeling queasy. Things didn't improve from their either. Since I was only a few weeks along they couldn't do the ultrasound from my stomach but had to do it... Well the "other" way. I thought he was going to pass out... Not even joking. We are going to need some serious help in this area or I will honest to goodness loos him in delivery. The first sight of ANY bodily fluid and he will be passed out. Good thing we have time to prepare him for this. Good thing we have time to prepare ME for this, what am I talking about!



The next ultra sound I had was 2.5 weeks later on June 11th. Mike wasn't able to make it so I was on my own. I had been having mild cramping the whole pregnancy, which I have read is normal. Of course you always worry about miscarriage in early pregnancy so I was a little nervous about what would come up on the screen. When I had a minute in the room to myself before the ultrasound I actually said a prayer. I just wanted HF to know that I was prepared for whatever path he had for me and that I would need his help regardless of that path. I was so happy so hear the heartbeat and even more happy when I saw the little one dancing and moving all about. It was incredible. I could have sat and watched my little one dance all afternoon long. The Dr. had other plans though and it was over in a min. Bummer. I was sad Mike missed out on all the action but I know there will be plenty more appts for him tag along on.




I have been really blessed in my pregnancy. I was really tired starting at 6 weeks but felt pretty normal other than exhaustion. Then weeks 7/8 I had some mild nausea. It wasn't horrible, just uncomfortable and inconvenient to be dealing with at the end of the school year when things were so busy. I discovered though that on the days I worked out I felt perfectly normal and was just a little more tired than I would normally be. Then when I got to 9 weeks I was basically feeling like myself again. I still find that on occasion I will feel nauseous, and usually if I eat something small it goes away. My motion sickness is at an all time peek and I wear the sea bands any time I'm not the one driving.  I haven't had any pregnancy cravings, just a few food aversions. When I wasn't feeling well I couldn't look at raw veggies. I also was just a little picky with food. One Sunday I made a meal I thought sounded so good. I made grilled chicken, corn n the cob and watermelon. I ate all of 5 bites and had to stop because it didn't taste good anymore. But I'll take that over being sick in bed or over a toilet any day. I think it's fun because all these pregnancy symptoms are things I've heard about from friends and now I'm having them. Sometimes I think, "WOW, they didn't make this up, I really am super sensitives to strong smells (or some other related pregnancy symptom.)" I have stopped wearing perfume because it makes me nauseous and when people would smoke all around me in Europe I had to cover my nose from the stench because it made me want to through up. I still do feel kind of sick in the middle of the night, but since I was adjusting to a new time zone and eating foods I don't normally eat I'm unsure if it was pregnancy related or just my body getting back at me for what I was putting it through. One very welcome change is my growing chest, yes please. Not so much for my growing stomach. At this point I haven't "popped" yet. I'm not by any means noticeably pregnant. What I am is noticeably chubby around the midsection. A lot of us have a little gut that we can suck in and hide to some extent. I am no longer really able to hide mine. It is here for the duration I guess, but I wish I would just look pregnant and not fat.  Oh well. I knew this was part of the deal. Oh, and another thing about pregnancy and hormones... My skin looks worse than it did when I was going through puberty. I mean seriously! My forehead and sides of my face are covered in bumps. Occasionally I get large unwanted blemished... I also got really bad acne on my back. At one point the girls I babysit asked what was all over my back. That's when I knew it was bad. Thankfully that had stared to calm down a little, oh the joys. I really do love this new adventure of pregnancy and can't wait for it to turn into motherhood. I know it will come with its challenges but I also know nothing will bring me more joy. I can't wait till January so I can meet this little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment