Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Andrew Hits NYC

When I was in High School I was in the school's elite choir called the Delphian Chorale. Both of my brothers have been in the choir and I know my sisters will follow suit when they are old enough. Each year the choir goes "on tour" When I was in it we visited Chicago, NYC and Europe. This year they returned to NYC for the first time since I was in HS. I was really excited to see my brother preform. He even had a tiny solo in my favorite song, "He Never Failed Me Yet." They preformed in St. Paul the Apostles church which is located across the St from ground zero. They did wonderful despite the fact it was super hot and the church has NO A/C!
I LOVED seeing Andrew. I was surprised that he spent as much time with me as he did. It was good to get him one on one and talk to him about life. We went on a harbor cruise around the city and he got to see the Statue of Liberty and some breath taking views of the city.


After the Harbor cruise we went to dinner with the group somewhere in midtown. I forget the name of the place we went, but thats ok because the food was just ok.
We got to walk through time square after dinner. Andrew thought it was pretty cool.
The original plan was for me to say goodbye after dinner. The group had tickets to see "Wicked" and since I didn't buy one I wouldn't be going. To my surprise the group ended up with one extra ticket and invited me to join them. I was trilled. I have seen Wicked on Broadway 2 times prior and loved it both times. I was more excited to see it with Andrew. I was anxious to watch his reaction to the show and all of its splendor.
After the tour guide showed the group where the theater was he told us we had an hour to go out and look walk up and down Time Sq. I told Andrew we should go find him a souvenir so off we went. As we walked away from the theater I noticed the sky was looking a bit ominous and that a storm was coming. And I was right. While we were inside one of the shops it started to pour. But we didn't have the luxury of just waiting it out in the store since we had to be back in time for the show. So Andrew and his best friend Caleb decided to start running back the the theater. It was every man for himself. LOL. I got a pretty big laugh out of the whole thing though. I used a bag as an umbrella and managed to get back without being soaked. It was very memorable.

The show was wonderful (naturally) and I loved every minute of it. However, Andrew was sooo tired from all the walking and heat of the day he feel asleep several times during the show. I had to keep waking him up during the songs I knew he would be sad if he missed. During intermission I went and got us a drink and a snack. The woke him up and we were able to watch the second act together without him drifting off. After the show we were able to be a part of a question and answer session with some of the members of the cast (Boq, Fiyero, the understudy for Elphaba, a dancer and one of the costume and make-up people.) It was really cool to hear them talk about the industry. When it was all over I took a taxi (the first one I ever hailed and rode in all on my own) back the grand central and headed home. I was very tired the next day at work but it was all worth it. One of my favorite memories with my brother ever!


1 comment:

  1. His face in the last photo is priceless. You can really tell how tired he was. That is so cool you were able to spend this time with him! I know he will always cherish that time too!

    ReplyDelete