Monday, May 31, 2010

Silent Heros

This is my hero, my grandpa Harry McKnight. He was in the H-3-29 6th Marine Division and fought in WWII. He served in the Pacific on the islands of Okinawa and Guam. He endured more than I can even imagine day after day so that I could have the same freedoms he had. The freedoms that were being challenged. Not only did he battle the Japanese, but the elements of nature. Many of us don't think of what it would be like to be in a jungle in the pouring rain and mud, with hardly any clean water and little rations left. But he got up every day (sometimes w/ very little sleep) and he gave his all to defend his country. He watched as his friends and brothers fell beside him, but he kept going. He did remarkably brave things and took no credit for his heroic efforts. He had multiple encounters with death but the Lord preserved him, because he knew what a good servant to His Kingdom he would be.

This is my hero. The man I see get tears in his eyes when he hears out national anthem. The man I know doesn't just see stars on the United States flag but fallen friends. The man whos solem words descibe those he lost so long ago. This is the man who would risk his life all over agian to keep the country he loves free. You won't find him bragging about his successes an triumphes while in the war, but pays tribute to the many others who gave thier life for fredoms sake.

This is my grandfather on the right and his Brother Bill on the left. They are 11 months apart and still play golf together a few times week. My Uncle Bill also served our country in the Mariens Corps. He is another silent Hero that walks amoung us.
This is my grandfather now and his two children. My dad Tim on the left and my Uncle Tom on the right. My Uncle Tom is another unsung hero. He has served our County on the Marien Corps for over 20 years. He spent a year in Iraq fighting in the Current War on Terror. He left his wife and three small children to go help keep our country safe. He now lives in California teaching the guys who want to be "Top Guns."
All of us have people in our family who have served our country so nobaly and have asked for nothing in return. So make sure than you thank these men and women in your life. They have done something will never be able to do. My heart burns with thanks and appriciation as I think of the price that has been paid for my freedom. Thousands of White Crosses line the fields with those who have given thier lives that we may be free!
This Poem was written by my Grandfather and is very dear to me.

WHITE CROSSES:

We were all so very young in that batte long ago,
on that island in the sea against a fearless foe.
The sky was red with tracers when the Kamikazes flew
and the mortar shells dropped 'round us from somewhere in the blue.
Our friends where killed and wounded beside us day by day
The corpsman save so many as we fought along our way.

The day the battle ended we stood to stretch our backs
We looked so tired and haggard as we emptied out our packs.
We ate what little food was left of rations, K's and C's
And climbed upon a near by hill to gaze out at the seas.
We gathered all the gear we had and headed back to port
The Navy lost so many ships our wait would not be short.

And when Division Cemetery came within our view,
We stopped to see if buried there were any that we knew.
We walked among white crosses, lined up in perfect rows
And read the names of many, with tears our eyes did close.
Here's Dailey, and here's Haller and there is Charlie Lee,
McDermott, Hall, and Miller and I guy we all called "Ski."

Gundell, Boone, and Cannon, their names still ring a bell
but time will dime their faces and the place our comrades fell.
I did not find my buddy Bob, his name was not there found
A letter from his Mom confirmed his place in hallowed ground.
How could I forget Marines, whos courage there did soar?
Who lost thier lives in fighting for our country and our Corps?

My flag has stars with names of those brave and noble men,
it waves both day and night for wives who might have been.
Now Don and John and Ken and Ben and those back home again,
Have we lived a life of honor that their gift was not in vain?
And now our time grows shorter and our ranks are getting thin
We pray our friends who guard the Streets of Heaven will let us in.

This Brotherhood is special but for others hard to see
but not for those who lived it, in wars like you and me.
When our time on earth is up and we join our friends above
we know our country will be safe for all the ones we love.
For other sons will take our place to live their special dreams
and proudly claims the title of "United States Marines"


Side Note: In the poem my grandfather mentioned "Bob." I have heard a lot about Bob ,who was a good friend of my grandfather, and thought I might share the story of a fallen American Hero. Robert Miller McTureous earned the Medal of Honor for Heroic actions in the line of duty. The corpsmen were those who would go find the injuried and take them to the medical ships. The did not carry guns and wore red crosses on thier uniforms. The Japanese were hiding in a cave and shoting at these corpsmen. Bob got really angry about it and filled his shirt with granades and ran on to enemy lines and began throwing the granades in the cave to kill the Japanese. He was then shot across the stomach with a machine gun. His intestines started to come out and he held his hand over them and then crawled back across the line to get more granades. He went back to the cave and finshed killing the rest of the people in the cave. He then crawled back to safty where he was taken to a medical ship and died a few days later of his injuries. I think this story is amazing because not only did he try to get everyone in the cave but he went back after being very badly injuried. The cost of freedom is high. We have lost many couragous men like McTureous and I am glad we have Memorial Day to remeber them and thank Heavenly Father for thier brave actions to keep us safe.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for remembering my hero and yours. He has many more stories of the things that happened during that time. Thanks for reminding us of the things your grandpa, Great Uncle Bill and Uncle Tom and many others have done to help preserve the freedoms of this great country. TWGFC = That Wonderful Grandma From Columbus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandpa fought in WWII as well. And I just watched Dear John last night-- it made me realize how hard it would be to be married to an army man! I am so grateful for their sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen & God bless the heroes which kept this country free!

    ReplyDelete