Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Irony or Karma?

Growing up I always preferred the A&F and Holister look. Its a pretty popular brand for the high schoolers where I grew up and is sporty meets preppy (I think at least). However, seeing as I am now almost 23 and married I figured it was time to abandon brand logos plastered all over my shirts. I had a major decision to make as to what "more grown up" style I wanted to transition too. I wanted something a little more grown up and slightly "preppy." After looking at various styles and stores I made the decided I would go the Loft, J. Crew, Ann Taylor route.

So all the stores are having their big sales this weekend so I picked up a few new pieces to add to my wardrobe. Thinking my new white shorts and bright orange t-shirt would be the perfect outfit to welcome summer at the ward Memorial day picnic, I left the house feeling confident.


Upon arrival I quickly scanned the crowd for those I was most anxious to catch up with. That's when I saw it... the dreaded same outfit conflict. I'll be honest the shorts where different styles but the same color and the shirt was the same color, from the same store but a different pattern. Now I'm completely ok with sharing the same outfit with someone. However, it was who, or rather the age of the person I was sharing the outfit with that concerned me. My cute, precious beehive that I teach every Sunday was a mirror image of me...

Lets just think about the irony or maybe karma of this situation. In an attempt to make a conscious effort to dress more grown up (So I will stop being asked when my High School graduation is) I find myself wearing the same outfit as a 13 year old. I will say she does have a fantastic sense of style and totally rocked the outfit, but come on. I just had to smile and laugh... maybe I'm just fated to be young forever (which is something I'm sure I will appreciate when I'm older-- but for right now I want to at least look like I'm old enough to be carrying a child when I'm babysitting my friends daughter.)

4 comments:

  1. haha. I feel your pain. What I DON'T want is to walk around town and look like I'm another teen pregnancy. Maybe the maternity clothes will make me look older? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! That's pretty funny & ironic! But I do love Ann Taylor, J.Crew & I'll add Banana Republic! And I feel your pain... working at a construction company makes me dress way more casual than I normall would. I've lost all sense of style & my 50+ pairs of heels just sit there except for Sundays. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha you are so cute. don't even worry - other young lookers are out there too :) i share your pain! i went to my aunts ward this sunday and she teaches the beehives and they all thought i was their age. MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach the Beehives in my ward also and they all dress WAY better than I do. And more grown up.
    I loved your post below, it was a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete