Monday, May 3, 2010

Crossroads

Lately I feel like this... standing in the middle of multiple paths and I have no idea which one to choose.
I feel like all my life I've had a clear vision of what I was suppose to do. Graduate high school, go to college, work hard, graduate college, get married. Well I've done all those things now... so whats next?
I longer I was away from the education program the more I miss it. I feel so drawn to teaching, maybe because it's something I know I'm good at. So I've started looking at graduate programs in the area. It is really hard because they are either to expensive or to far away. I did have a really positive visit to Manhattanville College in Purchase NY yesterday. I can't even tell you how nice it was for me to even just be on a campus. It is a small school (only 3,000) in Westchester County and everyone was so helpful and kind. I got just as many smiles as I did when I was at BYU-I. When I was there talking with them about the program I got the same feeling I did the first time I went to the BYU-I campus when I was a JR in High School. It just felt right. Of course its not cheap... But I'm hoping that by working I can make 85% of the money I will need.
I really like that they have an accelerated program there as well. In February I would start taking classes on Mon, Tues & Thur from 4:20pm-9:30 (So 15 hours a week.) I would do this through Aug with a few weeks off in between. This would allow me to complete 1/2 the coursework (23 credits) in 5 months. Then starting in the Fall they would try to help you find a job as an actual teacher. So I would be working full time as a teach and getting paid for it. Then one night a week I would take 1 class. This would allow me to graduate in a year and a half. When I graduated I would have a DOUBLE masters in Childhood Education (grade 1-6) AND Special Education (grade 1-6.) AND I would FINALLY have a teachers certification!! I'm kind of nervous though because you have to be interviewed to be accepted into the program. It just makes it a little more nerve racking!

To graduate with a teachers certification in NY or CT you do have to have a few specific undergrad classes. I meet most of them BUT I don't have 6 credits of a foreign language. So I have already enrolled in a Spanish class for this fall at Norwalk Community College. No matter what my grad school decision is I am excited to take this class. I've really wanted to learn Spanish for quite some time. I'm hoping Mike will be my personal tutor!!

So these are some of my thoughts as I ponder my next step in life...

Wish me luck. Its a big decision to make.


4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I felt that way too so when we moved to AZ I jumped on the chance to go back to school. I'm really nervous about it but it'll feel so good once I am done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Kristin! Even though it's tough, I know you'll make the best decision for you and Mike!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Sounds like you are pursing some good options. I can definitely relate to the "what now?" feeling. Turns out graduating from college has an aftertaste of uncertainty ... who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, you rock! I envy you. :-) Just a little, healthy amount. Way to keep going with your education!

    ReplyDelete