Sunday, December 6, 2009

Three Kings found the Lord... And so can we.

(Warning: Really long post with lots of Christmas thoughts.)

I love the Christmas Season. So much about it makes me smily and cheerful. I've enjoyed my lights, tree, wrapping presents, crafts, baking, Christmas TV specials and nativity scenes. However, I've really tried to keep my thoughts and actions close to the Savior this year. I've been reading the Gospels out of the New Testament since November and plan on finishing them by New Years. That it's self has added soo much to this special season. As I look at the nativity scenes scattered throughout my house I see the Christ child and can vividly remember the various account of his birth. I can remember the stories of those he healed, the parables he taught that I am finally internalizing and applying. And I can pounder on his infinite sacrifice. It truly is an experience I am truly enjoying.

Today Mike and I took the time to finally put the ornaments on our tree. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful grandmother who started such a special tradition. Each year she would take us to Hallmark and buy us an ornament. She encouraged us to get one with meaning. I'm so glad I took her advice on that. As I hung my special ornaments today a flood of childhood memories came back with ease. I remembered my obsession with barbies, love for doll houses, crush on Simba (I know he was a cartoon Lion-- but he was soo cute,) year as a music major and my time working at Disney World. Each of the ornaments and its coordinating memory made me truly grateful for the happy memories I've been blessed with. I pondered on my future children and my strong desire to raise them in a home with tender memories. I love how easy it is to reflect on life around christmas time.


Hanging my ornaments
Holding the "children."
The finished product.

Our Tiny Family.

After the tree was complete we sat down to watch "The Forgotten Carols." I have to first thank my dear friend Abby for introducing this phenomenal christmas treasure to me. My freshman year of college she invited me home to her house for Thanksgiving and her parents were kind enough to take us to the production playing in Idaho Falls. I was in love. The next two years I was in Idaho I made it point to go see the show live. The music is wonderful but the story that accompanies it is truly incredible. Knowing that I would no longer be able to attend the show I ordered a copy of a recorded performance. As I watched and listened I could feel my spirit yarning to remember a time before this life. When it witnessed the birth of the savior, or perhaps even sang in that great host of heavenly angles who announced the miracle of His birth. A time before the turmoil and commotion of this life. As I listened closely to the lyrics of the songs a few really stuck out. One spoke of the shepherd who slept through the angles visitation and did not go see christ but believed his friends when they told him. I was thinking how hard it would be to believe angles came to my friends when I was sleeping. And the words say "I knew that as the world goes on with time, there would be more stories just like mine. About all those who'd chosen to believe, in something that they never got to see." It is so easy for me to accept and believe the story of Christ's life and ministry. Yet I know that there are some who do not. Some who don't even know the story of Christmas. I've been so taken back working with a family who does not have any sort of religion. They don't know any of these precious stories. Each time I tell a new story their eyes light up like a child, what a special opportunity. I'm glad I am one of the many who does not need to see Christ to KNOW he is my savior. Nor do I need to see him to dedicate my life to living as he did. I also loved the song that spoke of the wise men who sought after the Lord. And how we need to find him as well. I think the process of seeking and finding the Lord, for me, is a daily one. I can get so wrapped up in the hum-drum of everyday life that I forget to do the things that will help me find the Lord and keep his spirit with me throughout the day. Three kings travels a great distance with nothing but a star and their faith to guide them to Christ. I have the scriptures, church magazines, living prophets and so much more to aid me in my daily quest for Christ. If Three Kings found the Lord then so Can I.

After that we watched the First Presidencies Christmas devotional. What a treat it is to have that special broadcast every year. What a way to help keep us dedicated to serving those around us a rededicating our holiday to the savior. I'm to tired not to remember the words that touched me so deeply, but I'm grateful for them. What a fine group a Men to lead and guide our church. And as always the music was incredible. I loved hearing the choir sing some of my favorite christmas songs. What a wonderful sunday. I just hope I have enough energy and enthusiasm to kick off this new week!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post Kristin. Christmas time is so special for Travis and I...seeing as we chose the Christmas season to get married. And this year is just as special because we will finally be reunited again. I can't wait!! The Forgotten Carols is a beautiful CD. I loved the performance and really want to buy the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kristin you are so sweet!! I'm glad you got to come to my house and that we went to see the Forgotten Carols together! We have been listening to the cd and I wish I could go see it every year! Maybe I should look into buying the DVD. Thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you coming to Rexburg this month??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just FYI, I love this post... You're amazing. :-) I miss you.


    (also, my Ducks will cream your Buckeyes! I'm blogging about why as we speak...)

    ReplyDelete