Saturday, December 12, 2009

"In old Ohio there's a team.."

So my good friend Aubri made a terrible mistake today. She decided to disrespect my Buckeyes in her blog post. Our two teams (Ohio State and Oregon) are to play each other in the BCS Rose bowl Jan 1. So the rest of you may continue if you care, but Aubri this is for you

-Now I understand what its like to feel passionately about your favorite sports team. So I can’t be to upset with the disrespect you’ve shown my team thus far. I know throughout the course of our friendship we’ve never really talked sports. I don’t know your background and you don’t know mine. So first let me tell you why my fist tighten, blood pressure rises and heart races when I hear people say that they will have no problem blowing my team away.

First off- This is me @ 1 1/2 sporting my OSU cheerleading outfit.

Dressed for success watching our Bucks win one of many BSC Bowl games.


Have you ever been to the Horseshoe on a Saturday afternoon in the fall?? There is nothing like it in the world I’ll tell you that. Imagine if you will… 102,329 screaming fans, a massive sea of scarlet and gray,

the Ohio State Marching Band (AKA:The best DAMN band in the land) doing script Ohio on the field,

98 warriors running out onto the turf to give their blood, sweat and tears to keep the tradition of pride and honor in our football program.

I don’t have to imagine this, because I’ve lived it. This is my childhood, my parents childhood, my grandparents childhood… I’m a proud 6th generation Ohioan. My father graduated from OSU, my grandfather/grandmother graduated from OSU and so on. BUT not only did they graduate from OSU but they were apart of if. My grandfather ran track and pole-vaulted for OSU. Then turned around and couched there (He has a plaque in their hall of fame if you’re ever in the Area and want to check it out.) So understand this my friend, there aren’t many people whole bleed deeper scarlet and grey than I. And when you insult my team you in essence, insult me.


So now that you understand where my heart is in this matter lets talk facts. I first must say I’m not one to talk a lot of trash. I know how vulnerable these kids are. These teams can be completely different than they were the week before (for better or worse.) I will not say that OSU will stomp on Oregon… and you should be mindful of what you say as well. Both of these teams are good or we wouldn’t be in a BCS bowl game. But if its stats you want than here are a few for you.

Over the years the following has been recorded about these two programs.


Ohio State: 7 National Championships, 36 Conference championships, 7 Heisman’s, 78 All Americans.


Oregon: 0 National Championships, 8 Conference championships, 0 Heisman’s, 2 All Americans.



Now I know these are past record I’m just pointing out that we are well seasoned team and we most certainly have what it takes to give you guys a fight.

I also want to clear somethings up...


  • You may have “creamed” UCS but you barely beat Purdue 38-36.
  • It also is not wise to assume because you can beat teams we lost to that you will beat us. There are so many factors to take in to account each game, each week.
  • Also how many shutouts did you guys have again this year??? Oh that's right NONE. We had three.
  • Sure you won a few games pretty heavily—but check it—so did we.
  • The only two games we lost we lost by almost less than a touch down—just like you. We’re not so different are we?
  • You have a good reason to be concerned about our Defense. It’s one of the BEST in the Country and it has been for years. This is why we’ve…
  • Won the Big 10 champion 5 years in a row now… how many times in a row have you won the Pac 10???
  • Also don’t disregard Pryor, he’s an Ace. It was big news to see what college would score him when he graduated High school. And he’s done us proud.
  • We’ve had our coach for 9 years he is completely in tune with these kids. Your couch has only been around a year.
  • Sure you have a good offence, but so do we its just a completely different style.

But here is the point and case -- this is going to be a low scoring game. Both teams are good. Both teams will fight. Look at the stats from this year they are pretty dang close to the same. (Some could argue we have the strength of schedule on our side but we will let that slide and look at the raw stats.) It will be a classic Rose bowl worth watching and both will give it their all.


So Aubri my friend. We are coming for your dear Ducks...




May the Best team win!!

Here a video for you too... I'm not patient enough to wait for it to download.

In old Ohio there's a team
That's known throughout the land
Eleven warriors brave and bold,
Whose fame will ever stand.
And when the ball goes over,
Our cheers will reach the sky,
Ohio Field will hear again
The Buckeye Battle Cry!

Drive, Drive on down the field,
Men of the scarlet and gray;
Don't let them through that line,

We're gonna win this game today, O-HI-O!
Smash through to victory,
We cheer you as we go!
Our honor defend we will fight to the end for O-HI-O!


(Also it should be stated that I will love you, Aubri, no matter what. You just have to understand that you struck a deep heart string when you posted your blog.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my dear friend... what a well written post. Glad to see you're not a fair-weather fan ;-) It was way cute to see you as a kid, in all your spirited outfits. It was also neat to read your stories. I won't bore you with mine, suffice it to say, I was born in Eugene, my mom teaches at U of O, and I basically bleed yellow and green. It'll be fun to see how this all turns out, and I'm so glad you still love me ;-) I'm glad that we have a friendship that can transcend college football rivalries.

    Also, I fully think we should make the dinner wager a home cooked meal. Much more work, and much healthier for you. Also, (you and I being the party people we are) much more room to make it fun. For example, when your Buckeyes meet their fate, you would have to make us green and yellow food. I think it would be MUCH more fun that way. My only sadness is that I won't be able to be there in person, watching the game with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the dinner. Don't be foolish enough to think that we would be friends if you were a Michigan fan. Luckily this is a one time thing. We'll see what happens. Just don't talk to much trash or you won't have enough room to eat all your words. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not crazy enough to be a Michigan fan... no worries there. Give me a call sometime, we'll talk about pleasant things... we'll completely avoid the trash talk :-) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I KNEW THIS WOULD GET UGLY : )

    I, like the other 6.6 billion people in this world, bleed plain old red. Just thought I would let you know : )

    P.S. If I was a die hard Boise State fan like Jared, I would not so subtley point out to the fans of the #7 and #8 teams that the good ole' Broncos are ranked #6...aren't we lucky I am not!!!

    No trash talk here, I am just sayin...

    ReplyDelete