Thursday, March 21, 2013

March 21, 2013, Day 5, Antigua

Today began with a 30 minute weight workout with Kristin & Mike.  We quickly grabbed breakfast at the Windjammer Buffet and took it back to our rooms so we could eat while we got ready for the day.  We left the ship at 8:40 and took a two minute walk towards the bow of the ship to board a boat and meet our crew for an Eco tour.  Trevor was our main guide.  He was a very knowledgable local who was also very nice.  There were probably 20 tourists from our ship on board. {I presented mom with a birthday button to wear so everyone would know it was her birthday!}

We learned that Antigua has ~90,000 islanders, is 180 square miles and approximately 10 x 11 miles in dimension.  It has a good economy and of all the islands is the one most other islanders in the Caribbean want to live on.  English is the primary language.  It is also the most eastern located of all the islands.

This may have been the consensus favorite excursion.  Kristin did a great job researching this one.  We spent the day touring the northern and Eastern side of the island.   We saw a famous beach where celebrities stay because the papperarazi are not allowed.  Bill Gates spent last Christmas there, as does Tiger Woods and many others.  Robin Leach has a home on one of the beaches here.

Our first stop was Hell's Cave, a small rocky island that we swam to, then hiked through a cave, then across a natural rock bridge over the water.  The rocks are a combination of granite and volcanic ash.   We got some really nice pictures here.

We noted how clear the water was.  Most of where we traveled was 20 feet or less deep.  There was a aqua-green hue to the water where the bottom was white sand.  Other areas appeared bluer, due to grassy bottoms where sea turtles hide and feed.

Our guide told us about the hatching and migration of sea turtles that are hatched in the beaches here, they travel all over the world before they return to lay eggs where they were hatched.  They go into a trance and even cry while they lay up to 150 eggs every two weeks for about 5 or 6 cycles.  Some live to be 150 years old.

Our next stop was for lunch and a hike on a smaller island off Antigua.  We saw some native lizards, about 12 inches long, during the hike.  I was hoping to see the Black Racer snake, a harmless, endangered snake native to this island.  We did not spot any.   I did find a coconut tree and the guide knocked one off the tree and later cut it open for the birthday girl, Karen, to drink the juice.  It was pretty good, light green in color, and maybe 3 ounces of milk.

Our next stop was snorkeling off a coral reef.  By now it was near 2 p.m.  and the clouds and the threatening rain of the day had cleared, and the heat, blue skies and puffy white clouds transformed the day into a tropical paradise.

We snorkeled in water 10-20 feet deep, about a half mile off the coast.  We swam among coral regions and clear, sandy bottoms.  Some of the coral was raised so high it reached up to 3 feet off the water's surface.  We saw a spotted stingray and a variety of colorful fish of many sizes, all smaller than 12 inches.

The coolest find was a three foot eel that was hiding under the coral about 12 feet down, on the bottom of the sea floor.  The guide found the eel and pointed him to us.  I swam down to take a closer look and point it out to Karen, Kristin, and Mike.  I got within about three feet of his mouth and razor sharp teeth.  I thought that was close enough.  As I swam past it I rolled on my side so I could fix my gaze on it and fight my body's natural tendency to surface.  Just then I  felt a sharp sting on my left shoulder and lower back near the waist line.  I thought I cut myself on the corral and was afraid I might be bleeding.  I swam to the top and the guide, who saw what happened, said I scrapped up against "Stinging Coral" and that is exactly how it felt.  I scratched it deep enough to draw a touch of blood, but mostly it just stung and welted up.  My only real concern at that point was weather I would have to stop snorkeling.   It would sting the same in or out of the water and I was not done yet so I stayed in the water.  We snorkeled about an hour and by 3:30 we  were done.  I could snorkel all day!   I love the colorful fish and the peaceful, relaxing nature of their movements. {When dad got out of the water the guide rubbed rum all over his sting marks because the alcohol is suppose to help with the stinging.}

I have really enjoyed our excursion guides. They have all been so knowledgable and friendly, but Trevor was really special.  I asked him questions about his life and the island on the way back to port.  It was a pleasant and enlightening conversation.  I had a photo taken with him afterwards on the dock.

We stopped at a clothing shop before boarding the ship and I bought a nice pair of shorts.  As we walked back to board the ship Karen commented on what a great birthday she had, probably her favorite day on the ship.  I think I agree with her.  It was pretty special.  It is so nice to enjoy such a nice vacation after we have both worked so hard and waited so long to have this kind of experience.   Kristin has done an incredible job with planning the best excursions! {Mike and I also did a little shopping after the excursion. We went to the same bamboo shop as my parents call Cariloha. They had the softest sheets and we were close to buying them until we found out they didn't take Amex which was all we had. We started talking to the worker in the shop and he mentioned the store was based out of Utah. When Mike told him that was where he was from the guide mentioned there were a lot of Mormons in Utah. Of course then we offered that we were Mormons. The worker told us he was as well. That he served a mission on one of the Caribbean islands and converted his girlfriend who he later married. We wanted to talk longer but when I looked at my watch I realized it was time to get on the ship. When we got back to the dock my watch said we had a few minutes but they were already loading on of the gangways. Mike and I started running and yelling for them to wait for us. People watching from their balconies above yelled to the workers to wait for us as well. I was so afraid they were going to leave us. After we got one another couple walked up behind us and then they put the final gangway up. We were so close to being left behind. It was to close for comfort and taught us a big lesson. Always be back at least 15 min before the departure time.}

We came back to our room, showered and got ready for dinner.  At 6 pm we went down for our formal dinner.  The food was excellent again.  We all got prime rib.  Just before desert the servers brought Karen a piece of chocolate cake and everyone sang Happy Birthday to her.  Our servers entertained us with a few tricks again afterwards.  They have been the nicest guys.  One from India and the other from a small island in the Philippines.

After dinner we headed over to the Colony Club for karaoke night.  Karen begged for me to sing to her on her birthday and I resisted almost to the end, knowing my singing would be more of a punishment than entertainment.  Finally, Kristin agreed to sing with me to satisfy Karen.  We sang the NSYNC song, "Tearin up my Heart".  Fortunately, not too many people were in the club at that point!   Afterwards, Mike and Kristin went to the spa and Karen and I walked around Deck 12, enjoying the view of the ocean from the top of the ship under a partially moonlit sky.  By 10:30 we were ready for bed.

It was a great day!
































































No comments:

Post a Comment