Saturday, May 5, 2012

Thank God For Hometowns


I love Carrie Underwood! I was so excited when her new CD came out this week. I ran to Target to pick it up the other night. I even started unwrapping it the elevator on my way down to my car. When I got to my car I threw it into my CD player and set it to track 9 (I obviously already had scanned the track titles and knew I would love this song.) By the time I got down to the window to pay for parking I had tears streaming down my face and I looked like an idiot. I'm so ridiculously sentimental, but the lyrics really got to me. 


"Thank God for hometowns
First kisses and touchdowns
Thank God for the county lines that welcome you back in
When you were dying to get out
Thank God for Church pews
And all the faces that won’t forget you
And when you’re lost out in this crazy world
You got somewhere to go and get found
Thank God for hometowns
I always find another piece of me
Walking down these old familiar streets"

I love my Hometown. I see it as one of those quintessential midwestern towns. Time has changes it very little, and the people who live there like it that way. You can't go out in public without seeing someone you know (or know of.) With the towns population booming at a whooping 17,000 there is still lots of farm land. We also have plenty of corn stalks, 4H clubs, John Dear tractors, rolling hills, country music, hard working farmers, volunteer fireman, beautiful scenery and charming parks.  And of course what is a small town without some rednecks, pouffy hairdos and "Mornin' y'alls." 

This month is not a fun one. Mike is studying nonstop for his CFA test so I rarely see him. All the kids at school have spring fever which can make for long, draining days. I have several other things on my mind stressing me out and I just miss home. I wish I was there with my mom and sisters. Instead I'm here, sitting alone on the couch with nothing to do on a Friday night. So for no other reason than Carrie Underwood has pushed me to the brink of my homesickness.... here are some pictures of my hometown, New Philadelphia, Ohio. 

New Phila is located in the Northeastern part of the state making it an 8(ish) hour drive from CT (in decent traffic.) 
Like many towns in Ohio it's rolling hills make a beautiful fall backdrop.



I like to brag that we have one of the best community parks in the country. Tuscarawas Park houses our football stadium, baseball field, pond, town pool, outdoor amphitheater, batting cages, concession stand, several playgrounds and for $.75 you can have a ride on the carousel, roller coaster, flying swings, Ferris wheel and a few other kiddy rides. After that play 18 holes of putt-putt golf for $1.50 a person. Not a bad deal. (I sound like a sales person, sorry)



On Friday evenings in the fall I wish I was back here. Cheering on my old high school football team. Both my brothers played football on this field. Lots of good memories.



Like most teenagers I couldn't wait to get out of there and go to college. It was the last town I ever wanted to go back to. Now that I am a little more grown up and have lived away from home long enough -- there is no place I'd rather be more. Most of that probably has to do with the fact my family is there and it is a darling place to raise a family. Unfortunately, I don't think Ohio is in the cards for is. You have to go where the best employment opportunities are and for now that is CT. I will say this, after living within the same 5 block radius for the past 4 years I am ready for a change of scenery, and in a big way! 


For now though I'll just have to day dream of living in a small town in some rural area of the country -- Some where like New Philadelphia -- Some where like this Jason Michael Carroll song "Where I'm From" describes. This is really just like the town I am from and I hope our kids can say the same thing one day!

"I'm from the front pew of a wooden white church

The courthouse clock it still don't work
Where a man's word means everything
Where moms and dads were high school flings
Gave their children grandmothers maiden name
Yes it may not sound like much
But its where I'm from


Where the quarterback dates the homecoming queen
The truck's a ford and the tractor's green
And Amazing Grace is what we sing
Well there's a county fair every fall
And your friends are there no matter when you call
Yeah It may not sound like much but it's
Where I'm from"

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, Kristin! I feel the same way about being ready to move home. The downtown life is wearing on me too. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post too!! Jordan and I take drives north just so we can feel like we're breathing again. I miss home, but mostly Idaho because of how simple & beautiful it was there. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your posts Kris! Can't wait for the day when you guys will be able to move to a small little town again! We sure like living in a small town. It really is the best!

    ReplyDelete