Thursday, March 31, 2011

St. Thomas (Day 2)

I wish I had the words to describe the way it feels to open the door to your balcony and see the beautiful water and landscape of St. Thomas. Not to mention seeing the sunshine and having in beat on your face. There is something so rejuvenating and refreshing about getting away the middle of winter (especially THIS winter!) We woke up in the best of moods on Monday and it didn't even mater that we had to get up at 7:30 to catch our excursion on time.
Our excursion in St. Thomas was pretty fun and a little different. We boarded a boat with about 40 people and rode about 40 min to what they said was one of the best spots in St. Thomas. When we arrived at our location Mike and I snorkeled for about 20 min. We had fun taking pictures of each other and the fish we saw. The water was so much warmer than I imagined, which was good because I don't do cold water.

After we snorkeled it was our turn to try the underwater scooter. It was pretty interesting how it worked. The helmet was filled with regular air and then had oxygen pumped into it. This keep your ears from popping to much and allowed you to breath normally underwater. Mike had a bad experience scuba diving years ago and was worried his ears wouldn't be able to handle any deep diving so this was perfect. I have to say I was a little frustrated when it came to driving the scooters. For some reason I couldn't figure out how to drive the stinkin' thing! So here I am spinning in circles 20 ft underwater trying to snap picture of the fish when I get a free chance. Not to mention I was about 15 ft behind Mike and the rest of the group. I think the scuba divers helping us got a good laugh out of my predicament. So for me the experience was unfortunately very stressful. And NONE of my pictures turned out very well. However, Mike who easily navigated his scooter and was not trying to take quality pictures LOVED it! So that made it all worth it. After we finished in the water we went up to the top deck of the boat and laid in the sun and listen to our iPods. I was glad I had found some good books on tape to keep me occupied during my down time. However, since I was so relaxed when I listened to my iPod I ALWAYS feel asleep and took a cat nap. So I still haven't finished my book!
After our excursion took us back to land we decided we were ready for lunch. We loved being able to easily re-board the cruise ship so easily for lunch. We would go to the cute cafe in the Piazza and have a grilled pesto, tomato and fresh motz sandwich with a warm chocolate chip cookie and ice cold water :) Seriously we enjoyed the food on this trip was to much and the scale will prove it! After our lunch break we went back to the island to look around. We found a cute market that sold hand made trinkets from the locals. Thankfully Mike and I both dislike nick-knacks so we don't buy stuff, get it home and then wonder what we bought it for. We do however buy magnets. We also saw some of the wildlife. I LOVED seeing the bright colors of the lizards and the Iguana sunbathing. I will admit the side of the island we were on wasn't the beautiful beaches that you see in pictures. None the less it was still beautiful and we hated to leave.
That night was a formal night so we dressed up in our nicest attire and headed down to dinner. We loved having dinner and spending the evening with the Naylors. After dinner Brooke and I went and played Yatzee (like 2 old women) in a lounge while the guys played black jack. Mike and Ryan met us a little later to watch the comedy show. It was the same comedian that we loved so much on our last cruise. It was a lot of the same material but still very funny. After the show we went and changed into our PJ's and met up on the top deck. The ship has "Movie Under The Stars" every night. They put cushions on the pool chairs and handed out blankets. Then they came around with popcorn, pizza, cookies AND milk. Seriously! Heaven! We watched "The Next Three Days" which was actually and incredibly good movie. It was a great night, but we payed for it the next morning when we had to get up at 7:00.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!!! I love reading about your adventures! Looks heavenly. I wanna go somewhere warm again! (Guess I shouldn't complain too much... We did make a trip to Cancun when I was 7 months pregnant last year). Were the collages hard to make? I think it's way cool!

    ReplyDelete