Sunday, September 9, 2012

Grad Classes

This semester I signed up for an early literacy class on Wednesday night. On my first night of class I quickly realized, to my pleasure, that I was already familiar with the content of the course. I have taken a few literacy classes at BYU-Idaho and took and passed the state literacy test. This class was going to be relatively easy. The only hard part would be surviving the teachers slightly scattered, really boring lectures. Especially after putting in a full days work on my feet tending to sweet, but needy 5 year olds.

After I was released from my calling and no longer had a Wednesday night commitment, I decided I would sign up for a second class, also offered on Wed night. It is called developmental literacy, I am glad both  my classes cover the topic of literacy as that is where my passion is. Since I signed up late for the class I missed the first week. Coming into a class new on the second week isn't my favorite thing. They have already done the introductions, gone over the syllabus, covered expectations and know what to expect. Luckily I was able to reach the professor prior to coming to class the first day so I knew what the assignment was for that night. I was to bring in a trade book (picture or chapter book written for kids) that related to that nights topic "beliefs about reading." I am lucky I work in an elementary school with teachers who know their library well. I was quickly able to find a book and bring it in. I was surprised how many of the other students seemed uniformed and unprepared for the class. On girl walked in 30 min late and was asked to share her book to the class. She brought in a Mercy Watson book, one I have read several times to the twins at bedtime. As she started to describe it to the class I knew she hadn't read it. I had to laugh because her interpretation of what was happening in the story was from the pictures and she was all wrong. I wonder if my professor knew. Anyways, this class will be more challenging. I have a 7 page research paper/observation due in a week. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but I am pretty stressed about it.

One moment from this class last week has me wiggling in me seat. I had to use the restroom before class but didn't have time between leaving work and getting to class. I figured I would have to wait as long as I could before it became an emergency and try to slip out at a good time. As class went on my need to use the ladies room increased dramatically. She showed a 15 minute video and I was dying through the whole thing but because of where I was sitting I couldn't really leave. Needless to say I didn't pay as much attention to the movie as I should have. When it was over she told the class to organize them selves into a circle, I figured that was my cue. It would take 30 adults moving chairs at least a few minutes to get into the circle. So I ran to the restroom, I was quick and efficient. I was gone no more than 90 seconds. When I got back into the room everyone was in the circle and having a discussion on the video. They were also using each others names in reference to previous comments that had been made. I was so lost. Since part of the grade is participation I got really nervous that I was going to have to say something about a movie I didn't pay attention to. Also you could tell she must have said everyone needed to say something because as soon as one person said something 3 more people tried to say what they were thinking right after. I didn't have time to collect my thoughts into a well thought out, worthy of a class discussion comment. The clock ticked, and soon it was just me and the guy with laryngitis who hadn't added to the "grande conversation" as she called it. Then the professor said "I want to open the conversation up to new voices and remind them that this is part of the grading process." Ugh... I really was going to have to say something. I took a deep breath, and let the guy who couldn't talk go first. Then I rephrased something someone else had said. Not so much a win for that class. I will now make it a point to use the restroom before leaving work and paying attention to all video clips played.

I am really grateful that I have this opportunity to take classes and pursue a higher education degree. I know that what I am learning will not only further my professional career but will benefit my future children. Reading is a life long skill and I am excited to take what I know about literacy, comprehensions, phonological awareness, semantics, syntax and pragmatics and apply that to teaching my own children how to read.



No comments:

Post a Comment