Monday, April 9, 2012

Saying Goodbye and Hello...

If you know me well, you know how strongly I dislike driving. I understand it is essential and I do it, but I don't enjoy it and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. So I was 3 weeks away from 20 when I finally got my drivers license. Soon after that the freedom and independence that driving brought me made me want to buy my own car and take it out to school at BYU-I. My parents were a tough sale. As I was a poor collage student I had very little money to spend on a car and would need their help to buy a my own car. After weeks of talking and convincing my mom and I set out to look for some used cars in the area. It was pretty disheartening and there wasn't much in my price range. Finally a few weeks before I was to go back to college we found Ginny (named after Ginny Weasley), my little green car. She wasn't much as the worlds standards go, and my brothers and dad made fun of her. But I didn't care. She was mine and I was going to work hard to pay for her.

After 3 years I had paid back my parents for her and the she was really mine. I was so proud to pay her off all on MY own. My car payments came from the money I was making, not Mike, and I took pride in that. Well A year ago the A/C stopped working in her. Last summer was a hot one for everyone but for me in my non A/C car it was REALLY HOT! I decided I couldn't do that again this summer and went to see how much it would cost to fix her. I found out it was going to be $1000! yikes! That is more than she is worth. So I decided just to deal with the heat this summer. When I went to pick her up I mentioned to the mechanic that I was planning to sale her later in the year so I wasn't going to fix her. He told me he knew someone who would buy her from more than she was worth (especially without the A/C working.) That set the ball in motion. Now less that 72 hours later Ginny has a new owner and I have a new car, who still is nameless.

It is exciting to get a new car, but was a little sad to say goodbye to MY Saturn.


Things I will miss (memories):
-The independence having my own car brought me
-Cross country trip to Utah with my mom and listening to Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows on the way there
-Driving my roommates around Rexburg
-Love notes and flowers left on my car by my future husband
-Blasting Emerson Drive, High School Musical 2, Rascal Flatts, Carry Underwood and Hairspray in the summer with the windows down and wind in my hair
-Driving cross country home from Utah with my mom and admiring my new engagement ring and how lovely it was when it glistened in the sun of the Nebraska plains.
-Getting lost all over fairfield country and just praying I'd be able to find my way home
-Reliability, knowing she would get me to work and home safely everyday.
-Power trunk (my new trunk I have to open with a key or pop from up front-no remote)


My New Friend. A 2008 Toyota Corolla CE. Again it is nothing fancy by the worlds standards but for me it is just what I wanted and in the right price range :)


Things I will enjoy:
-POWER WINDOWS!!
-Window Locks (especially when the twins are in the car with me)
-Power Mirrors
-Ipod jack
-Low milage
-AMAZING gas milage
-Large trunk
-Rides slightly higher than Ginny
-Bigger back seat (the kids I babysit will appreciate this as well. )

YAY FOR A NEW CAR TO MAKE NEW MEMORIES IN!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I loved my Toyota Corolla, when I had to sell it for a van I got a Toyota Sienna. = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved riding in the new Corolla on Sunday morning! Your Corolla and our Corolla should be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new car is beautiful! Just like you said, it is very spacious on the inside, but what’s even better about it is that it’s the best bang for your buck when it comes to fuel savings because it can hit up to 26 mpg in the city and 35 mpg in the highway! Cheers for your new car!

    ~Carry Demaggio

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a lot of things you should take into consideration when buying a car. For one, the amount of money you want to spend on it. Second does your car has to be luxurious with all the technologies available? Or you just want a car who will meet your needs on a daily basis? Upon deciding on the features that you want, it will be easy to look for one that suits you. So, congratulations for your new car!

    -Dante Mallet-

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a hello and goodbye for you guys. But your new car is so nice, especially its features that you’ll get to enjoy. I remember riding this kind of Toyota Corolla and we had so much fun during our long trip. I hope lots of beautiful memories will be created with this car. :)

    -- Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete