Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

I haven't ever written down "my" 9/11 story. I've always felt like it was too similar to many other and insignificant compared to those who where in lower Manhattan that day. As I have thought about it more I decided I needed to record it. Because I do remember, like so many others, where I was on that day the world stood still and just watched. My children will want to know what I remember from the day they will only hear about. It is important to record because even though I wasn't there this single act changed our country and me forever.

It wasn't until the beginning of 4th period (10:00 am EST) that I finally heard the news about the twin towers. I was walking into my health class when a friend of mine came into the room and said "We're going to get bombed. I just know it!" I had no idea what she was talking about till I looked up at the TV that was on and saw the horrific picture. Smoke, fire, one tower missing. I was confused. what happen? Where was this? I didn't even know what the twin towers were. I had seen them many times but didn't know what they were called. I had never been to NYC at that point but my heart already ached for the piece of the skyline that was missing and all those whose lives had been lost or changed.

As the minutes went on other student began to fill me in on the news. It was a plane that had been flown into the towers. A United airplane. They weren't sure where the flight originated from but my thoughts immediately jumped to the safety of my Uncle Tom. He was a pilot for United. I didn't have a cell phone back then. But I wanted to run to the office and call my mom to find out if he was ok. Logical thinking would have told me that with hundreds of pilot working for United that he was probably ok. But I was not thinking logically, there was no logic in this. Who would hijack a plane of innocent people? People with children, spouses, mothers, fathers. And then fly that plane into a building full of more innocent people? There is no logic in that.

Then I saw the second tower fall. My heart ached. So many lives lost. I thought of the families of those people. Empty seats at the dinner table, children whose father/mother would not be there to tuck them in at night. Firefighters, police men and port authority workers who were there to help, gone. So heart breaking. My mind jumped to the quote by President Roosevelt after Pear Harbor "A day that will live in infamy." This was the pearl harbor of my generation. This was our call to rise to the challenge and make our nation whole again.

The rest of the school day was spent with the teachers in front of the TV. Reports came in about flight 93, and the pentagon. The pieces of the puzzle were being sorted. We were attacked. By a group of terrorist. They hijacked planes. One brave group of people saved the nations capital a major lose and their plane lay burning in a field in PA. That flight flew over Ohio. If you look at the route it took, if flew right over my hometown.

When I got home my mom was waiting for me at the bus stop. We hugged and cried a little. It was good to be with family at a time like that. She confirmed the safety of my uncle and we walked home. It was my brother Bryant's 12th birthday. As you can imagine none of us felt like celebrating. We all just sat and watched. My younger sister asked lots of questions, how do you explain something like that to a 5 year old? We ordered pizza and ate in the living room. No one talked much. We just sat and watched. At 10:30 at night we finally sang to my brother and he got his birthday gifts. I don't think we even took the traditional family picture around the cake. Then we had family prayer, a very long family prayer. We prayer hard for those who were suffering and thanked Heavenly Father for our safety and for the blessing of living in the Promise Land. A country that was founded on the motto "In God We Trust." For if we put our faith in him, he will guide us and protect us.

In the coming days, weeks and months we saw something our nation hadn't done in years. We came together. Suddenly it didn't matter what political party you belonged too and what religious group you were affiliated with. You were an American and we were proud to be.

10 years later I live in the NYC metro area. I go to the city frequently and see the new skyline. The one without the twin towers, but with the new freedom tower in it's place. It stands as a symbol of hope, rebuilding, healing and pride.

10 years ago I knew no one that was directly affected by 9/11. Now I know several people who were in the city that day. Some running for there lives in lower Manhattan. I know people who lost close friends and coworkers. I know the city. I recognize street signs and buildings when I see the footage from that day. It's a little more personal now.

Today I watched several specials on 9/11. As my heart broke and my spirit sobbed I felt something else too. I felt pride. Look at how our country pulled together. Look at all those brave people who rushed to the aid of strangers. Look at the people who came from all over the country to clean up debri. Look at those Americans standing together. Since then we have cleaned up, rebuilt and found those responsible for the tragic act.

I am so grateful to live in the USA. Grateful to have the gospel in my life that brings peace to my soul in times of crisis and unsurity. Grateful to have the knowledge of the plan of salvation. To know that the families that were torn apart that day can be together again through Heavenly Fathers plan. Grateful to be an American.

"Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust.
"And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

No comments:

Post a Comment