Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Back to School.

School started about three weeks ago and I have been trying to catch my breathe ever since. We definitely got off to a rocky start. We {the teachers} started two days after hurricane Irene hit. The campus I work at had NO electricity and NO running water. It was pretty hard setting up and feeling organized when we couldn't do a lot (no copier, no lamination, no computer, no printer, no using the bathroom at work.) We finally had to start taking work home with us, which is no fun.

But all the frustration of setting a classroom up in the dark went away when I met my class. I LOVE them. You would too. I wish I could put a picture up to show how cute they are, but I'm not allowed :( I have made some good friends this year. One little boy told his mom I was his favorite teacher! YAY! He is so adorable. He is a well mannered, tiny little boy who reminds me of Stewart Little. When we asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he said... "Strong." Precious.

Another of my new friends LOVES the Disney Princesses. In fact at recess the first week of school she requested I call her "Queen Sleeping Beauty" and she called me Cinderella (who she thinks I look like.) I play with her a lot when I can since she is a little shy. Today at lunch they were talking about "best friends." I told the table of girls that they could have a lot of best friends. One of the girls asked "but who is your first best friend." I said I have lots of BF and I like them all the same. Then my little friend says "Like me, I'm one of your best friends, right?" How precious! I love my job!

Did I mention we have 7 kids in our class this year? And 2 teacher +1 shadow? Those are pretty good ratios. It makes for fun, easy days. I still leave exhausted. Trust me. But I haven't left feeling stressed or unhappy yet. Which is a good sign.


My favorite time of the day, although I am tired and just want to sit down, is when I get to see these kids. I babysit these guys (since April) after school three afternoons a week from 3:30 to 7:15. I can't think of a better babysitting job. They are so well mannered and fun to be with. I love the twin girls, who are 4 (the same age as the kids at school.) But these girls I get to hug and kiss and love on when I tuck them in at night. I really do love them, all four of them. The oldest boy {9} is a huge sports guy and I often find myself pitching tennis balls or throwing a football with him. The second oldest boy {7} has the largest imagination I have ever seen. I wish I could be so imaginative again. I have fun with these guys. And I can't imagine my afternoons without them. They make me smile... and really want twin girls :)



No comments:

Post a Comment