Saturday, October 19, 2013

It's a Girl







 
 When we started tell people we were expecting one of the first questions they asked was "Are you going to find out what you're having." When we said "yes, most certainly" we got mixed reactions from people. I was honestly surprised to find that so many people do wait till the baby is delivered to find out what they are having. While I can completely appreciate and understand there reasoning for waiting, that's so not my personality. I want to have everything picked out and cute and ready to go.  When it was time to schedule the anatomy scan (where you find out the gender of the baby) I realized it wouldn't be till the end of the summer. That was far to long to wait. I wanted to be able to tell Mike's family in Utah that summer and I wanted my family to be apart of the gender reveal festivities. I was planning to go to Ohio the first week of Aug and would be leaving the day that I turned 17 weeks. I had read that you can get a gender reading as early as 16 weeks so I asked my dad if we could use the ultrasound machine at the hospital where he works.

The ultrasound tech agreed and we made an appt for the day before I was to go home. I felt a little sad that Mike wouldn't be in the room with me when they told me the gender of the baby. So I devised a plan to make it as fair as possible. When I had the ultrasound I looked away when they started looking for the gender. My dad and the tech were not allowed to use gender words and I was not allowed to have the faintest idea at what it could be. My mom and sister were in the room with me as well. My sister had to play my game with me and look away. My mom however would not play my game. "This is my first grand baby and I this is the only ultrasound I'll be able to go to so I want to see everything." I didn't argue with her, and she was able to be in on the secret. So both my parents knew before Mike and I.

During the ultra sound the tech and my dad thought they were about 60% sure they knew what it was. Before they ended the appt they went back to look one more time. This time they got a clearer image and decided they were 85% sure. So I knew whatever they told us wasn't 100% until we went to the scan at the hospital ion Stamford, but that 85% were pretty good odds.

My mom wrote the gender in and index car and stuck it in an envelope. We took it to out local bakery and asked them to make a cake that was colored either blue or pink depending on the gender of the baby.

That night the whole family sat down to dinner together. This was tricky to arrange with the work and sport schedules of my sibling. It was a fun family dinner. After we finished eating we facetimed Mike who was at home anxious to hear the news.

We both thought it was going to be a boy. Mike thought that way because he really, really wanted a boy first, as most men do. I thought it would be a boy only because I had spent the last 14 weeks trying not to get my hopes up. I really wanted a girl first. I have been praying for a girl first since before I was married. I didn't want to be disappointed if it was a boy though, so I just told myself it was a boy.

Right before I went to cut the cake I had my dad give Mike his version of what he saw on the ultrasound. While he was talking he said "I can't be 100% sure because it's still very small." I took this as, it was a boy but his manhood was still very small." My mom made a face that said "you just let it slip" and I vocalized that I felt like he just ruined the surprise. As much as I had prepared myself for a boy I still felt like pouting at that moment. Maybe because I thought it was a boy and maybe because I was sad the surprise had been ruined right before I cut the cake. I didn't feel like cutting the cake anymore. Pregnancy hormones. No one else could stand the suspense so they had me cut the cake.... and it was PINK. I was so excited! My mom had tried to trick me and I played right into it. I was so thrilled to have my girl first. Mike was shocked to hear it was a girl, but after the shock wore off he was excited as well. In the end all we really wanted was a healthy baby, the gender doesn't matter. We would be happy with any child we were blessed to have, boy or girl.

 Katie refused to admit it was a girl. She still calls the baby a "boy." Maybe next time Katie. Also please note the goofy faces the girls are making in these pictures. First KT is making a face at Mike on the ipad, then Lizzie is making a face at Bryant who was taking the pictures. Silly girls. They will be the funnest aunts, I know my daughter will adore them, as will they adore her.



















No comments:

Post a Comment