Monday, February 11, 2013

Nemo the storm that forced us to slow down...


 Mother Nature was far to kind to us last year, with an unseasonably warm and almost snow free winter. She decided to make up for that a little this past weekend. She sent a Blizzard, by the name of Nemo, to find CT and repay us for last winter.

Normally I enjoy a good snow day off from work. While I very much enjoyed my day off on Friday as Nemo trickled into our atmosphere I did not enjoy the outcome of the storm. Mike had been scheduled to take his GMAT test and I was suppose to have one of my four, six hour technology classes for grad school. Mikes test was cancelled since the Governor shut down all the roads in the state and my class is going to be rescheduled for a different date. Both were very frustrating as we are anxious to move on from the GMAT and ready to get these Saturday classes out of the way.

After a little moping from both parties I decided we needed to take advantage of having a Saturday with nothing to do other than spend time with each other. That doesn't happen often my friends. It was a much needed day to ourselves. I'm not going to lie, it is really hard for us to find the time to focus on each other and our relationship. We don't have many disagreements, but we often find ourselves wrapped up in our own individual lives and not focused on the fact that we are a FAMILY. Even though it's just the two of us, that still makes us a family and we still need to spend time together like a families do. I love our weekly dates, but two hours of good food and a decent conversation a week just doesn't cut it.

After a nice conversation on what we can do to slow down and focus on each other we made breakfast together (blueberry pancakes with homemade blueberry sauce.) Then we put together a meal in the crock pot and bundled up to go outside and see the damage. I measured 14 inches of snow in the driveway. We went on a walk to see what other people were doing. Mike made some snowballs and practices hitting a target. I made a snow angel. We endured fierce winds that blew the snow all around and almost took your breathe away. We attempted to take a few picture but gave up once we decided we were to cold to care. We ended our outside fun taking turns shoveling our parking spot. I would shovel until I was out of breath, then Mike would do the same. I have to say that Mike could shovel A LOT more than I could before he got tired. Then we came inside and warmed up on the couch and cuddled while we caught up on some TV shows. We had dinner together and chatted and laughed. It turned out to be a good thing that we were "forced" to spend the day together. So THANK YOU mother nature for sending Nemo to find CT. It gave Mike and I a chance to find each other again. Life certainly can get busy for everyone, I just hope it doesn't take another major snow storm for us to remember how important and how much fun it is to just spend time together.

Remind me to reread this post in 3 months when the CFA is breathing down our necks... :)



















 








No comments:

Post a Comment