Saturday, July 7, 2012

Winning London: Day 1

June 25th

Today we slept in, which was good since we didn't get to sleep till 2am. We went to breakfast right before it ended. It was disappointing compared to Rome, it was like salt in our wounds. We were both pining to go back but trying to be positive about where we were and what fun things we would be doing! After getting ready for the day we set out to pick up our passes for the London Pass and Hop-on Hop-off bus. Once again we had a hard time getting our bearings in a new city and made a lot of wrong turns. We finally made it to Trafalgur Square and got our tickets for the Red Bus tour. Then we headed back to the hotel so we could pick up our city pass. After walking back and forth a few times we finally felt more familiar with the area, which was nice. After getting everything in order we hoped on a Red tour bus and headed down to Westminster. We were able to see Big Ben up close. Then we walked the across Embankment Bridge (Which gave awesome views of the London Eye and Big Ben/Parliament.







We went over to the pier area where the London Eye is. There were SO many street performers dressed up as random things and standing like statues. I mean at least 10, more than I have ever seen in one place. We decided since it was nice out it would be  good time to ride the London Eye. That was pretty cool. We had some amazing views of the city, not to mention being in a giant, glass capsule fairis wheel. It was a lot of fun. Worth the money I think. 














After our journey on the london eye we Hopped on the Red Bus again and drove around on the main tour loop for 2 hours. We saw and learned a lot on the loop, not to mention it was a good way to get a feel for the city and where everything was. We also drove by the London residence of J.K. Rowling. 



After doing the whole loop we got off to see Buckingham Palace. The Palace is just as big and grand as I thought it would be. I wish we had royals in American. A family with no political power but that the whole country loved. I love all the tradition and Pomp and circumstance that comes with the Royals.  









After taking it all in we rushed off to the West End (London's Broadway district) to see a show. A few months back I got tickets to see Les Miserables and I was glad I did because the show was all sold out for the week. Surprisingly, and I hate to admit this, it was the first time I had ever seen the show. Of course I know a lot of the music from it but had never seen it before so I didn't know the characters or what was going to happen next. Seeing Les Miserables was basically like the first time I saw Wicked on Broadway, I cried through the whole thing. I think it is actually an Opera as there is no spoken word, which makes speaks volumes about the cast. To have no relief on your voice and to sing all your lines. So impressive. The cast was one of the best I have ever seen. The guy who played Jean Valjean had hands down the most amazing theater voice I have ever heard. It gave me goosebumps. The music was so powerful and moving it literally brought me to tears, for the whole show. Even after the curtain call had ended and the lights came on I was still trying to compose myself as all I wanted to do still was cry. It was that good. I wish I could see it again and again and again. I heard a rumor that they might be making a move out of it like they did Phantom? We will see. As for right now Mike and I agree that when we get home we are ordering the soundtrack. 






After I pulled myself together we took a stroll through SoHo and tried to find something quick to eat. We were hard pressed for time before the show so we didn't have time to get dinner and wall we barely had anything for lunch so we were starving. After getting take out at a little cafe we navigated our way back to the hotel for the evening. 



No comments:

Post a Comment